Retford Hospital

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Anyone know if there is access from Chesterfield canal directly into Retford hospital, without having to go all the way to Hospital Rd & back down North Rd?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I have no idea. But I just wanted to respond to a thread that had "Retford" in it! I tried looking on google maps and it looks like there is some kind of park -just before Rose Gardens.

Retford.... a lot of my misspent youth there and visit once every couple of years to see my mum.

Anyone know if there is access from Chesterfield canal directly into Retford hospital, without having to go all the way to Hospital Rd & back down North Rd?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks all, I'll just ride over & give myself a bit extra time in case I have to go the long way around, @Nigeyy it does look like there might be a way, but if i remember correctly (although that's doubtful) there's a Victorian cast iron bridge from the park to the footpath but no access down to the canal.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

No, sorry. I've never been there or know anything about it at all.
Thank you for that, I'm glad you told me before I set off so I can use the extra knowledge gained :laugh:

OldShep

Über Member
3B891D06-0157-4AEF-B2FF-F6B72624B2C1.png Never been there but I love looking at street view. If you can’t get directly up into the hospital you can get up 50 yds to the side of it near Rose Gardens.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Never been there but I love looking at street view. If you can’t get directly up into the hospital you can get up 50 yds to the side of it near Rose Gardens.
Not sure you can that's the question, it's been over 12 months since I went down that part of the canal, I can remember the bridge going over the canal but not a foot path joining the tow path, but looking at this map, it does look like there is one.

Selection_076.png

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

So the puzzle is solved, no you cannot get from the canal straight into the Hospital, apparently there is a gate but it's always padlocked, however there is access via the graveyard. Unfortunately there is a rather large awkward kissing gate to negotiate

20190220_154428.jpg

20190220_154456.jpg

20190220_162447.jpg

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
So the puzzle is solved, no you cannot get from the canal straight into the Hospital, apparently there is a gate but it's always padlocked, however there is access via the graveyard. Unfortunately there is a rather large awkward kissing gate to negotiate
Access to a hospital via a graveyard !
Surely it should be the other way round.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes to Threads With Retford In It :smile:

I've enjoyed this already. Though I will be honest, I've never been to that part of the canal, Retford Hospital or the cemetery. Next time I'm in town, I'll have to drop by for a scenic look. Good luck Phaeton!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I have no idea. But I just wanted to respond to a thread that had "Retford" in it! I tried looking on google maps and it looks like there is some kind of park -just before Rose Gardens.

Retford.... a lot of my misspent youth there and visit once every couple of years to see my mum.
I was going to berate you for only visiting your mum every couple of years - but then noticed your location.
A transatlantic flight followed by a probably horrendous cross-country journey is not a prospect to be relished - much respect!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, it would be once a year, but I have 3 kids... and that makes it hard! Having said that I was thinking and realized I saw my mum (hence visiting Retford) in 2018, 2017, and 2016 (surprize birthday visit for her). So not bad at all! Train ride from Manchester airport to Retford isn't that bad either :smile:

I was going to berate you for only visiting your mum every couple of years - but then noticed your location.
A transatlantic flight followed by a probably horrendous cross-country journey is not a prospect to be relished - much respect!

Top Bottom