Retirement calculations - Can I ever retire ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Anyone watch the 'pensions crisis' show on Channel 5? Quite interesting to see the aspirations of people who have essentially done no planning at all. I think there's maybe 4 or 5 episodes, but it's available on My5.

Perhaps it will serve as a wake up call, especially to those without final salary/military/LGPS/NHS/police etc etc pensions who have to take more ownership of their affairs.

lane

Veteran
Problem is young people are skeptical of the "system". They think you pay in and the goal posts change and you get robbed. Not without reason.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Problem is young people are skeptical of the "system". They think you pay in and the goal posts change and you get robbed. Not without reason.

The majority of the working population have had the goalposts moved to some degree, whether it be the state pension age being pushed back a couple of years, or occupational pensions that have changed the rules to have staff retiring say at 65 instead of 60 unless they want to take a reduction.
If young people decide to reject the whole concept of retirement savings, they are going to be in for a nasty shock come the time they retire. What people need to remember is the basic state pension was only ever intended as a safety net to enable pensioners to survive, not to furnish them with a comfortable lifestyle. That's what SERPS/occupational/private pensions are for. The basic state pension only gives you the slice of bread. if you want some jam to spread on it, you have to organise that bit yourself.

lane

Veteran
Organise it themselves but not necessarily through a workplace retirement scheme. Although whatever you do might end up with nothing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fundamentally, if you want to retire (irrespective of age), you have to sort your finances out so you won't have any outstanding debt to service by the time you intend to pack in work. That requires you to live below your means when you are younger, get a paid-for roof over your head ASAP, and pay as little tax as possible so that as much of the money you earn as possible is actually benefitting you, not being handed over to muppet politicians to waste.
When I was younger, I concentrated on getting my house paid off early using my overtime earnings, whilst also putting some money into my work pension. Once the house was cleared, the overtime earnings went into tax-efficient vehicles, like taking a PEP/ISA out every year, employee share schemes, inflation-proof NS & I Index Linked certs, and putting some AVC's in my pension on top of the regular amount. I have had a cardinal rule of never paying the 40% tax, no matter how much I've earned. I've always diverted as much as necessary into share schemes/AVC's in order to keep my taxable income on the basic rate, when I had an exceptionally high earning year. I do as much as possible using salary sacrifice too, so I don't pay the 12% NIC's as well as saving the tax.
My unavoidable household outgoings have essentially hit a plateau now I don't have any debt to service, and I can easily live within my net earnings after deductions and pension contributions are taken out. I don't intend to work beyond 60, and hopefully will go PT a couple of years before that. Aim to be a receiver, not a payer, of interest. Don't pay to borrow other people's money - make sure they are the ones paying to borrow yours!
I knew a copper, his other half was a nurse. They lived solely of her salary and ploughed all of his into the mortgage and paid it off in 6 years. Things were tight, be he reckons not that bad - the still ate well. had decent clothes, but they bought nothing on finance, no car loans, not even mobile phone contracts, all the things that suck money away for no long term return. They celebrated paying off the mortgage by buying a caravan.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just so happened to be talking to an academic colleague. Just discussing how pension contribution rises had added massively to our payroll bill. She then said she didn't have one. She's not a kid either. I just couldn't understand why she wouldn't pay into the scheme when her employer put's in another 23% on top of around 9% employee contribution. Our pay isn't great, but when you add in pension costs on top, it's not that bad. Well I can, it's the hit of £500 a month before tax flying out of your pay packet, but she's is probably leaving things rather late - actually I should have mentioned she's probably wasting money on tax as her salary would have been in the 40% bracket, paying pension would lower this.

lane

Veteran
£500 sounds a bit high after tax with a 9% contribution would put her on over £100k which would be better than a not great salary!

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I work with a few guys who are prioritising paying off their mortgage over paying into their generous company pension scheme. I've tried to explain how much they're missing out 🤷‍♂️
I completely understand the logic, but there is something comforting about paying the mortgage off - perfectly understandable, and at least it isn't being wasted :smile:

dodgy

I completely understand the logic, but there is something comforting about paying the mortgage off - perfectly understandable, and at least it isn't being wasted :smile:
I pointed out that if they diverted the cash to their pension, there'd be enough surplus to pay off the mortgage at age 55 and still have a sizeable pot.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I like having a large disposable income while I’m youngish and can enjoy it, rather than tying money up in pensions for an extended old age (I don’t want to live to a hundred)!

Gunk

Guru
Personally I like having a large disposable income while I’m youngish and can enjoy it, rather than tying money up in pensions for an extended old age (I don’t want to live to a hundred)!

it arrives much quicker than you think!

lane

Veteran
Quite a few early retirees in my cycling club. They seem to be enjoying themselves as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom