Retirement, how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have some great memories. I simply now want to devote the remaining part of my life to doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. After 30 years working for the Queen, having to ask permission to marry, permission to live where I want, and notify my employers of those with whom I associate, its nice to be 100% completely and utterly my own man.

I don't regret it - I just want the second half of my life to belong to me, and not a boss.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have some great memories. I simply now want to devote the remaining part of my life to doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. After 30 years working for the Queen, having to ask permission to marry, permission to live where I want, and notify my employers of those with whom I associate, its nice to be 100% completely and utterly my own man.

I don't regret it - I just want the second half of my life to belong to me, and not a boss.

I cannot disagree with those sentiments, I have been lucky enough to do that for most of my money earning days.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you not go where your customer wants you, when they want you?

No I do not, classic example I have been for a swim and a ride this morning and am no back home, everything I wanted to do today has been done. A guy just phoned and asked if I would go and look at a dent, no was my answer but if you pop it over in an hours time then I will happily do the job in my nice warm workshop. He is on his way, that is how life has been for may years, if I do not enjoy what I am doing then I cannot do it anymore, it has cost me a lot of money over the years, not something I have worried about though. Life is for living and doing the things that you enjoy, if one of them is fixing dents then why not do it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

^^^^^^^
Ditto :okay:

pjd57

Veteran
I was in the fire brigade for 30 years.
Did I love the job , no.
Did it pay the bills , Yes.

Once I retired, I wondered why I stuck it, and there's only one answer.
The pension.
It cost a big chunk of my wages every week , but the one big plus is being able to stop in your 50's.

It's not a pot of gold but it pays the bills. Spend less , gave up my car and can't complain.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was in the fire brigade for 30 years.
Did I love the job , no.
Did it pay the bills , Yes.

Once I retired, I wondered why I stuck it, and there's only one answer.
The pension.
It cost a big chunk of my wages every week , but the one big plus is being able to stop in your 50's.

It's not a pot of gold but it pays the bills. Spend less , gave up my car and can't complain.

That was a big chunk of your life wasted if you did not enjoy it, my youngest is in your old trade and loves it. The times for them may not be as good as you had though.

pjd57

Veteran
That was a big chunk of your life wasted if you did not enjoy it, my youngest is in your old trade and loves it. The times for them may not be as good as you had though.
I didn't hate it , but I have never went into any paid work for the love of it.

Work for me was always about paying the bills.
Always a job , never a career.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Plan your death.

At retirement, divide up whatever you by seven, burn through that per year and then blow your brains out on the doorstep of the Inland Revenue :smile:
Slight calculation error (I hope).
I retired aged 63...........I am now 70. Do I really have to blow my brains out now? Like, is that mandatory or just a suggestion ? please say its the latter :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I didn't hate it , but I have never went into any paid work for the love of it.

Work for me was always about paying the bills.
Always a job , never a career.

Earning money for me has always been about having fun doing it, I think I am starting to figure out why you lot could not wait to pack up.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Earning money for me has always been about having fun doing it, I think I am starting to figure out why you lot could not wait to pack up.

Each to their own choice. But.......

I too enjoyed my job, as did Mrs BL.

At retirement, we resolved (like @Drago ) that we did not wish to work, even part-time. we wanted to travel, as and when we wished. This we do, typically five - six months of each year have been spent "away", either in UK or, roaming Europe, this has been "what we do" for the past ten years. This year has been somewhat curtailed, due to the (totally useless) DVLA, but, I am hopeful of a resolution soon, and, roaming Europe will re-commence.

As I say, each to their own choice.

screenman

Legendary Member
My wife chose to be a stay at home mum for 30 year's, it is something she really wanted, even now as a chiropidist she only averages 4 customers a week. Whilst I have always been the complete opposite.

I am in a position to stop earning but it gives me a lot of pleasure, and to be honest never stops me from doing other things.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Slight calculation error (I hope).
I retired aged 63...........I am now 70. Do I really have to blow my brains out now? Like, is that mandatory or just a suggestion ? please say its the latter :smile:
Have you blown all your cash on coke and hookers yet?

If not, hurry up, there’s a body bag outside the Shipley Office with your name on it.

;)

Top Bottom