Retirement, would you if you could?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
In an ideal world I would like semi-retirement of working from October to April and having the summer free for travelling. I am not aware of any jobs that are suitable for this.

midlife

Guru
It will keep getting pushed back but I can’t see it being removed from anyone.
It would be similar to removing schooling or healthcare from rich people.

They removed child benefit from rich people, I’ll give it ten years......

To be fair though, while the first step on to the property ladder is harder, its not all the fault of slyrocketing property values.

As well as property itself rising in price, youngsters these days have so much more to spend their money on.

Fat mobile phone contracts, cars on PCP finance, gym memberships, foreign holidays and long weekends on the lash in Europe, none of these things were a drain on the financial resources of youngsters 25 years ago.

Mini D #3 and her feller forewent all of these things for 2 years and the money saved easily paid their deposit and legal fees.

Yes, it's harder, but a lot of youngsters make it even harder still with their spending habits. That's fine if thats what they want to do, but don't then complain you don't have any money left for something else.
All very true plus a coffee shop on every corner to feed the caffein habit and selling breakfasts and lunches.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, a busy few days for me.

Gotta paint the kitchen ceiling today. Tomorrow the car goes in for some work and ill sling the bike on the roof and ride home. Wednesday I do the journey in reverse.

And while all thata happening it's my turn on call for the SAR team as search planner, although without a car i'll do the planning from home and email the maps and routes out to the control van.

So this seems quite apt.

vickster

Legendary Member
In an ideal world I would like semi-retirement of working from October to April and having the summer free for travelling. I am not aware of any jobs that are suitable for this.
I could do that if I wanted, the beauty of contracting/freelance. But clearly you have to be in an industry with a strong freelance culture.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've been offered a generous VS scheme, but my team has been told we won't get it as we're needed. We've got a mix of various pension schemes, and the one many of us 'back office' staff are in is a local government one that would require the capital cost of the retirement pot to be topped up. That would be a heck of a cost for the likes of me. Payback needs to be within the next 12 months for it to be worthwhile for the business. If I was 5 years older, I might consider it.

It's a fantastic opportunity for those in the Teachers Pension Scheme and are 55 plus.

byegad

Legendary Member
That’s one of the adjustments I’m working on. Not trying to fill my days with “productive busy-ness”. Being comfortable with not being busy, not feeling the need to be doing something “productive” all the time, not feeling guilty about “wasting” time doing nothing. Being happy to be in the present in a mindful way without judging whether it is “useful” or “productive” or not.
Correct, and a sign the newly retired are doing well is when they say....'I don't know how I ever found time to work.'

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's a fantastic opportunity for those in the Teachers Pension Scheme and are 55 plus.

My university had a similar offer last summer. Again, if I was 55 it'd have been worth taking and I am in the TPS. I'd have taken it and worked part-time for a few years, which is the plan from 60 anyway.

johnblack

Über Member
I was thinking about cutting back hours last year but in the current climate it doesn't make much difference as I can't really use that spare time, so I'd rather work. I'm too young to do nothing, I like my job and get really great benefits, so I don't think I'll give it up, I'll just keep putting in as much as I can in to the pension which has performed well.

When things start to get back to normal, the likelihood is I won't return to the office full time, so I might compress my hours, the wife may be up for a redundancy in the next year, that might change my outlook.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm keen to retire this year. I have no shortage of things to keep me busy: Several grandchildren, lots of hobbies, cycle touring plans and an old house, with various works required. The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger is that I think there is a good chance I could get redundancy in the Spring. I won't get a massive pay out, but there are a number of advantages that make it worthwhile waiting. Watch this space!

iandg

Legendary Member
I retired at 57 following a stressful work situation that resulted in suspension on unfounded allegations. I fought for 8 months and then decided 'enough is enough', did the sums and realised I could cope financially so resigned and retired (32+ years of an NHS pension).

I needed treatment for anxiety, stress and depression as a result of the work situation. I started to improve after leaving work but after moving away from Stornoway to Dumfries I started to struggle again - a result of isolation/loneliness (I'd left old friends) and I had no focus/responsibility ( I'd left the routine of a high pressure, stressful job with responsibility for a critical hospital service.

I'm now well on the road to recovery but needed long periods and sessions of counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and psychology interventions to get there. Voluntary work (sustrans and food deliveries to old folk) has helped the mental improvement through giving me a focus and sense of responsibility again.

Retirement sounds wonderful (and it is when you settle into it). If you can afford it then great but don't overlook the associated mental issues. Make a plan as to how you will cope mentally, physically and financially. My plan was to go at 60 but I didn't last that long. Sudden retirement wasn't good for me. If I was enjoying work, and hadn't experienced what I did, I think I would have stayed until 60, winding down gradually with a couple of years planning for the big day.

Last edited:

Lee_M

Guru
I retired at 56 some 3 years ago.
Not once have I woken up and said "I wish I had a job", and I fill my time pleasantly with my hobbies - cycling (well I did until Covid, now bought a Wattbike and spend my time on Rouvy), brewing beer, hifi, playing the drums (again the band is in haitus due to covid), and fettling my Westfield kit car.

My wife retired last year just before Covd (not great timing!) amd she has struggled tbh, she sorted out temporary personal fitness jobs but they got cancelled, and she cant go to the gym.

Retirement (if you can afford it) is brilliant, but you do need to find your personal balance, my wife will be a lot better when she's allowed to go to the gym, run her pilates and spin classes, and generally keep herself busy. I haven't seen much difference during covid, except I cant take the car out, but thats because a lot of my hobbies are home based.

You can't just sit at home doiung nthing - well you can but I'm not going to suggest it

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm keen to retire this year. I have no shortage of things to keep me busy: Several grandchildren, lots of hobbies, cycle touring plans and an old house, with various works required. The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger is that I think there is a good chance I could get redundancy in the Spring. I won't get a massive pay out, but there are a number of advantages that make it worthwhile waiting. Watch this space!
Daughter #3 seems most likely to make me a grandfather - Daughter #1 prefers the company of ladies and while I'm no biologist this would seem to make the likelihood of children slim, and #2 doesn't talk to me so I sadly don't get to see my 2 grandchildren :sad: #4 is only 9.

Having a new grandaughter (who I will name Layla) would be fantastic. #3 would have no issues with childcare and can carry on working, and id have a little 'un to keep me busy. Lemmy helped my raise #4 and i think he'd love having another sprog to protect and fuss over, so it'd be great.

Top Bottom