Retro fitting rack and low gearing to brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No, L is light as without rack, etc! Titanium bits classify it as X while R is with rack, etc. M,S, H or P relate to the type of bars fitted.
Ah cheers, its a long time since I bought mine. Bar prefixes I was fine with but the suffixes I was struggling with.

That makes mine an S3X then.

My personal view is the rack is unecessary weight. If i ever needed to carrry more than my messenger bag with me then the front pannier system is the way to go, which is a very straight forward retro fit and almost no extra weight if not being used.

If you are getting 6 gears you should be Ok without the "extra" low gearing. I have the higher range of 3 gears (54 chainring 13 sprocket) on my "3" which is fine for my commute. standard gearing is 50 chainring plus you get an additional lower range with the 16 sprocket on the back, without going down to the 44 chainring.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
+1 for front bag rather than rack. I've owned a Brompton with a rack and it was very difficult to carry anything useful on it without it either falling off or hitting your heels.

The C Bag carries a tonne of stuff.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I once carried a coal scuttle half-way across Anglesey on the rear rack of a Brommie. It was not comfortable
I'd go the front bag route every time, I really would.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I may have to get some easy wheels - I've never actually tried rolling a folded Brompton.
It takes so little time to fold that I fold it on the platform, often at the door of the train.

Brommyboy

Über Member
TheDoctor says
Aye, but I suspect loaded camping trips by Brompton is a bit of a niche interest.
Mind you, you've got me thinking now...
Well, I use it when public transport is necessary, and have met a number of cycle tourers and cycle campers using Bromptons. Do look for info on Heinze Stukke, who uses his for expeditions!!!
http://www.heinzstucke.com/
He has even undertaken the Brompton World Championship Race at Blenheim fully laden!

CopperBrompton

Eazy Wheels or the prettier Brompfication wheels do make it easier, but like in shops is about the only time I roll it - the rest of the time I unfold it and wheel it.

Kies

What is the typical distance you folks cycle on your bromptons?
My daily commute would be 5 miles to the station and 10-15 miles around central London. Then 5 home from the station in the evening. Sometimes I think about 2 bikes, leaving one at Paddington,but a folder appeals to my sense of being self sufficient

CopperBrompton

A Brompton would be fine for that. I've done 30+ miles in a day on mine and been perfectly comfortable, and there are nut- people who have done the Dunwich Dynamo on them (though possibly less comfortably).

Brommyboy

Über Member
I have several times done day rides over 100 miles long on my Brommy. There is no reason to think they are of less use than ordinary cycles, other than small wheels off-road, or limited gearing for very hilly areas.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Buy some eazy wheels Sara - they are slightly bigger than the standard plastic ones, and help to wheel it along
Where do you put the easy wheels if you haven't got a rack? I did see someone recently with a skateboard wheel on his brompton mudguard.

Top Bottom