Return of the Holdsworth Brand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Not sure if this thread needs to be in here or general chat, but as Holdsworth has such a history thought i'd put it here......

A very interesting article in the Telegraph.........Yorkshire Cycle Business owner buys the Holdsworth name with the intention to re-launch the iconic brand

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ldsworth-bikes-targets-return-to-Britain.html

What are your thoughts guys and gals?

Personally..I like it.....and i could be seriously tempted to spend a shed load of cash building one up with Campag Super Record.........:-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Better off using the alloy Athena for that authentic look

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good luck to him, its hardly a return to the "olden days" but we need to keep traditional skills alive and not just with bespoke manufacturers ( plus I might need a new frame one day :whistle:). Exports could really take off a la Brompton.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What wouldn't I give for one of those Holdsworth jerseys! Come on Prendas, get your finger out.

One quote from the article -

"It was not until cheap Asian carbon fibre and alloy frames began to flood the bicycle market in the 1980s, that Holdsworth – famous for its classic frames made in lightweight Reynolds “531” steel tubing – started to struggle."

Whoever wrote that is two decades early in his timeline.

Windassisted

I know it's not vintage but if you were to attach all original Campy gear to it you could claim 50% originality to it which is not bad. However, being made in Italy, but production may return to this country if manufacture takes off .
holdsworth.JPG
So, do we buy one now to assist sales or wait till manufacture is back in Blighty ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I know it's not vintage but if you were to attach all original Campy gear to it you could claim 50% originality to it which is not bad. However, being made in Italy, but production may return to this country if manufacture takes off . View attachment 61752 So, do we buy one now to assist sales or wait till manufacture is back in Blighty ?
Lovely Touring/Audax frame. :biggrin:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Particularly like the chrome. Not sure about the pump pegs though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But do carbon frames with Colnago, Bianchi. De Rosa, Pinarello and so forth on them look right?
Yes they do. Can't really explain it, just something is out of place. Maybe because those famous brands have had a history of continuous development and innovation and then to have a carbon Holdsworth suddenly appear seems to smack of badge engineering.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
True- Most middle range Schwinn's back in the 75 ' s and 80 ' were lugged, and made by Giant, and Panasonic prior to that. Except P series bikes, made of Columbus Steel in Mississippi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom