Return to Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Welcome and I hope you continue to enjoy your cycling.
Take very great care of your steed, things aren't like they were when we were kids when you could lean your bike against a hedge all afternoon and it still be there when you got back for tea.

Scrotes will lift your bike at the first opportunity so either get some bloody good locks or never let it out of your sight.
There is a good little ABUS combiflex retracting cable lock which a few of us at our club carry just for security at cafe stops etc. I have the 4 combination 90cm version which is brilliant for popping into my jersey pocket. 90cm is just long enough and I notice there is a 120cm version out now which I might get.

Don't let any of that put you off though. I've been cycling just coming up to 2 years and I absolutely love being out on any of my bikes.
(don't worry, you too will have more than one bike in no time)

Philhh

That's me too-returning to cycling at a grand old age(which I refuse to admit to -I am a prewar baby) doing 15 miles regularly and starting to work on hills got me a giant defy 0 and a giant defy 3 which I'very fitted with 105 triple for the hills around here ( both off ebay at "sensible "prices).I'm fortunate my kid brother is a very keen cyclist and is taking my training in hand.I really enjoy the reports people give of their rides -I'm transported around the country with them-they almost need putting together somewhere !

Ice2911

Über Member
Hi everyone, I've just returned to cycling after a short break of 45 years (I'm 59 btw). How things have changed! I've bought a Boardman Sport and loving it. I'm only up to 15 miles or so, but I think the distance will build. I did a 13 mile flat route in an hour the other day which I was pleased about. Then I tried a bit of a hill yesterday and it nearly killed me! Anyway, looking forward to chatting and getting advice from everyone.
Welcome back to cycling and just enjoy it. I too returned this year and it is very addictive. I have just passed 4000 miles for the year including a LEJOG.I started only managing 5 at a time. Hills are always painful but you just get quicker, as the advice has said " just keep spinning" enjoy the ride, the distances soon develops.

Last edited:
Hi

Like you I am just returning to cycling after an absence of 20 years. The return has been complicated by a minor hill-walking accident which damaged my knee. Discovered rocks, boulders and human bones are not the best of friends. Currently under the guidance of my Fizzio / trainer doing rehab on spin cycles before I purchase a new machine. Taking it easy to build up strength again in my leg but must be careful not to overdo it. Look forward to getting the new cycle.

Top Bottom