Return To Cyclo-Cross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the local Clubs is organising a 'CX Fun Day' shortly

http://www.calderclarion.co.uk/

Sunday 23rd July; http://www.calderclarion.co.uk/calendar/

They had a rider in the Tour de France, a few years ago, who won a few stages:okay:
(born in the same village, as me, & I still see his sister every so often)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4281981

I may go along, & watch, or............ drag the bike out of the garage, & participate
However, it's been two years since I last raced CX, & that single race was my first since 2009)

Gruesome details here; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/first-cyclo-cross-for-6-years-tomorrow.187884/

As I wrote in that posting;
Got to admit, I know I'll get hammered out there!
I may be quite 'bike-fit', reasonably 'run-fit', but as for 'cross-fit'............................. forget it!!!

As for either, at the moment, I daren't even think I am:whistle:

Should I race?

After all, I have a CX bike, a club skin-suit (which I guess will stretch over my chubbiness)
Plus!!, from a Yorkshiremans perspective, with it being a 'try it' event, it's a lot cheaper
Entry, at the WTC event in 2015 was £14, this is £5 (as cheap as most fell-races!!)

f8eabd89975ab019827c68aa321e46d4.jpg

Venod

Eh up
Go for it while you can, and enjoy it, if I was running I might have had a go myself, as it is I went for a run through the Went Valley a couple of weeks ago (1st run in 18 months) not very good legs aching and breathing laboured, I might give it another go after the weekend, riding a 3 hour MTBO tomorrow on NYM.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1W3WKQrirU-MllYSHZ6eThNOGc

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
One of my friends races CX, he's pretty good at it too. I went with him once and it was a flood lit night race I came 49th out of 51 finishers!
I loved every minute but racing is not really for me, I felt more like a moving obstacle for other riders to lap!
I think I'll stick to less competitive local trails and tracks.

Go for it while you can, and enjoy it, if I was running I might have had a go myself, as it is I went for a run through the Went Valley a couple of weeks ago (1st run in 18 months) not very good legs aching and breathing laboured,
I've had a chat with a collegue, who's a 'thorper. & he reckons I should do it
Even if it proves to myself, that I'm fat & unfit^_^
Where in the Went valley?

One of my friends races CX, he's pretty good at it too. I went with him once and it was a flood lit night race I came 49th out of 51 finishers!
I loved every minute but racing is not really for me, I felt more like a moving obstacle for other riders to lap!
I think I'll stick to less competitive local trails and tracks.
I used to be okay, & could generally get into the top 25% at most races, from first trying CX (1990), up to 2009

I know some very good riders too, such as my near name-sake is still a decent rider, even if he's nowhere near national squad standard

Venod

Eh up
Where in the Went valley?

I park on the bridge in Wentbridge and run by the church and under the A1 then left up the killer steps, then right and through Brockadale Plantation to Kirk Smeaton, then back along the South side of The River Went to Wentbridge, its a run I used to do a lot when I lived on the south side of Pontefract, it gets very muddy on the south banks of the Went after heavy rain.

Its about 5 mile.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Should I race?

YES!

I first tried CX a few years ago when I was very fit. Loved it but didn't really get into it for various reasons - mostly having other commitments on Sundays.

Made more of an effort last season and did three races, which I hugely enjoyed, although they revealed to me just how unfit I currently am. I was lapped at least a couple of times, but so what? I was never going to win anyway. And in fact I didn't finish last.

I'm definitely doing some more CX this season, and I'm a wee bit fitter than last year so might even be able to go a tad faster and not get lapped so much.

Spartak