Returning rider - new bike suggestion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
Hi all,

Returning cyclist here after taking 3+ years out of the sport/hobby. Recently I have started to get back into it and taken a few rides out to build up my fitness and remind me why I loved cycling so much. Now I'm thinking of setting myself a target if I lose x amount of weight or something to that affect, then I'll treat myself to a new bike. Unfortunately due to the size of my house and having no secure outside storage that I would risk storing a bike in, N+1 = 1.

Given that, I would look to get rid of my Wilier GTR and replace it with something else. My budget if I can get it "approved" will probably be up to £3k with some wiggle room, now my question is what to go for. I had a Giant Defy Adv. Pro 2 previously and loved it, super comfortable for me as a 6'4" heavier rider (predominantly due to the wheels). However, I have always loved the aesthetic of Colnago and De Rosa bikes, but I'm not sure on how comfortable the rides are. As I live near my workplace, I wouldn't use the bike for commuting, so it would just be fitness/pleasure rides before or after work and at the weekends for road cycling.

Finally, the bike needs to look nice. Currently my bike is stored in our dining room (picture attached) so it needs to be pleasant on the eye. I do appreciate that is quite a subjective criteria.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bike in the dining room! How did you get that past ‘er indoors? Can’t really help with the new bike but if you’re happy on the Willier compare the geometry with any prospective purchase.

vickster

Legendary Member
I rather fancied the v pretty de Roas Ti but £££ and in very short supply! I'm not sure what 3k buys you Colnago / de Rosa wise though (I alsoways thought the frames alone were a few k?)

What material are you seeking?

Bike buying is tough at the mo, and given the budget, you'd want to try. I'd ride the Willier for now and then look post Covid

Top Bottom