Returning to cycling at 70 years of age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
My brother did a 20 miles after a 63 year break and only a few rides, he was 80 at the time. Unfortunately he did not stick at it.

Hi

Just thought I would introduce myself. Coming back to cycling after a long break and currently working on spinbike to obtain a base fitness before purchasing a cycle which is on order. Looking a gentle touring style at a relaxed pace gradually increasing trip by trip as I gain fitness and stamina.

That is brilliant to hear Cuddly, I am 68 and apart from a few little spats from time to time I have been away from the saddle for far too long but I have just bought a vintage bike and as soon as the opp to my left hand has healed I will be off out and about.

Just take it all within your comfort zone and on the odd few days that it doesn't feel good then simply turn round and put your feet up because as sure as eggs is eggs it will feel a great deal better the next time you go out.

Welcome :smile:. Just out of curiosity what have you ordered?
Tried several dealers and a large number tried to sell me a cycle type I did not want. The final dealer took lots of time to discuss my needs and of course wants. Tried many different cycles, frame sizes etc and eventually settled on the one best suited to my needs - Ridgeback Expedition. Getting out on it mid-Nov once back from hols.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi

Just thought I would introduce myself. Coming back to cycling after a long break and currently working on spinbike to obtain a base fitness before purchasing a cycle which is on order. Looking a gentle touring style at a relaxed pace gradually increasing trip by trip as I gain fitness and stamina.
Welcome, Cuddly Ocelot (a bit of an oxymoron!) Good to hear you are taking up cycling at this stage in life, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

midlife

Guru
Tried several dealers and a large number tried to sell me a cycle type I did not want. The final dealer took lots of time to discuss my needs and of course wants. Tried many different cycles, frame sizes etc and eventually settled on the one best suited to my needs - Ridgeback Expedition. Getting out on it mid-Nov once back from hols.

Good choice on the Ridgeback. Won't set the world on fire but sound kit with good value. Our family have two :smile:

Good decision @Cuddly Ocelot!

If you feel up to coming along in the future, watch out for my forum rides, some of which pass through the Manchester Road/A646 traffic lights only a couple of miles from you on the way over to the Forest of Bowland. We usually ride to Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington several times a year.

That lovely cafe is a destination on one of my trips from Bolton by Bowland doing a dogleg and returning via Sawley. Thank you.

Top Bottom