Reusing Canyon wedge from damaged fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MM70

Hi all,

After a crash I have a damaged fork on my Canyon Endurace. I bought a replacement fork, but when installing it I was not able to get out the expander wedge from the old fork

. I was able to move the wedge up and down a little bit, using the stem cap bolt. I think I have two options:
- Saw through the old fork just below the wedge to be able to push out the old wedge, and reuse it for my new fork
- Buy a new Canyon wedge

Any recommendations whether it would be a good idea to reuse the old one, or maybe any other solutions?
Thanks!

boydj

Legendary Member
You could screw in the top cap part of the way and use that as a means of levering out the old wedge after slackening the screw that tightens the wedge. Or you could just buy a new wedge - it doesn't have to be a Canyon one, as long as it is for a carbon fork.

OP
OP
M

MM70

You could screw in the top cap part of the way and use that as a means of levering out the old wedge after slackening the screw that tightens the wedge. Or you could just buy a new wedge - it doesn't have to be a Canyon one, as long as it is for a carbon fork.
I can use another brand’s wedge even though Carbon forks have a different circumference?

Big John

Guru
So the picture we're looking at is the damaged fork, which won't be used again? If you really want that wedge then simply saw the steerer to get at it.

boydj

Legendary Member
I can use another brand’s wedge even though Carbon forks have a different circumference?

IME the difference in internal widths are minimal, since the outer width is standard and the way the fork bung works easily accommodate differences. You just need to buy the correct size for your fork - either 1" or 28.6mm, unless the fork you have is unusually large.

You should be able to loosen the bung in the old fork enough to get it out though, by loosening the internal hex bolt a little. I'd try that first.

Top Bottom