Reusing quick links.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
I have a shimano 105 11speed chain. Is it possible to reuse the quick links? I have done in the past for cleaning purposes but see that they’re not designed to be used this way...which does make me wonder what they’re for?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Quick links are for joining a chain (once cut to the correct length), as opposed to having to push a pin in with a chain tool and the significant risk of not getting it quite right (stiff link or chain failure not very far down the road). Guidance on reuse of 'quick links' (ie taking the chain apart, but not at end-of-life, and then using it to rejoin the chain) varies from make to make and also varies with drive train speed (8/9/0/11).
I reuse mine (SRAM), maybe twice, in the life of each chain, for cleaning.

Mark pallister

I have a shimano 105 11speed chain. Is it possible to reuse the quick links? I have done in the past for cleaning purposes but see that they’re not designed to be used this way...which does make me wonder what they’re for?
Reuse them all the time no problem

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you can undo it re use it, the issue with 11spd is they are buggers to undo with fingers, but those quick link plier tools should get them off

OP
OP
M

markemark

Über Member
Thank you. They do say they are not reusable but in the real world it would be ok? Do you think it just fatigues each time or if it seems to nicely ‘click’ into place then it’s good to go?

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Y
knot_1faa2.png
RTFM DT? :okay:

Cymro74

I change my chains once a year, and need to undo quick links maybe 4-5 times a year for cleaning etc. Never had a problem reusing original link, although I always carry the correct spare quick links just in case.
Shimano pins were a pain, and costly as Shimano say you need a new one each time you broke the chain. Would never go back to pins

Top Bottom