[review] Garmin maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Learnincurve

I am lucky enough to have just been given the OS discoverer 1:50k for the whole of UK and Ireland with full NAVTEQ road data. I got given it because it's the 2011 version and there is a new version out. I have also used Talky toaster's free maps. Plus I also have the same OS maps and some 1:25k with street view for my satmap, which is a non-routable large hand held GPS for hiking.

I am using a Oregon 450t. The t (topographical) is important because it means "automotive" map view is available. It has a larger and more readable screen than the 800, more memory, can store more waypoints and takes AA batteries. (two decent rechargeable ones will last for 18 or so hours) However even though it does take heart rate and cadence sensors it records less data and if you want to seriously record for strava you need a separate device with a auto pause function like the forerunner. Both are priced about the same. There is a bike mount for the hand held garmins on amazon for £7:50 a pop.

Easy one is that there is no difference between the 1:50ks on the two different devices.

Talky toaster and OS is where it gets interesting and also depends on what area you are travelling in, as it does with all free maps as they are all taken from the same free OpenStreetMap data. Talkey toaster maps are routable alternatives to OS, the basic one is free but as people were just selling on ebay he now asks a small fee for the look and feel 1:50k maps http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm. It is not worth it really and there isn't much of a difference between those and the free ones, unless you want to support his site which is what I did. They look and feel absolutely nothing like real OS maps.

The OS maps with NAVTEQ are infinitely better for on-road navigation on the fly. it's not the OS part it's the NAVTEQ. They also bring the "where to" section to life, routing off road is slightly more accurate on the free maps but then neither are great on that one.

For going off road you can zoom in much further on talkytoaster's maps but even at 1:50k OS is about the same for actually working out where you are going for both maps I would sack the auto routing and do direct routing.

Is it worth £200 for the OS maps. "lol" Not on your life. However, it most defiantly is worth getting the NAVTEQ maps at about £25 downloaded to the card you already have your TT maps on, and if you have a choice between two second hand devices, one with or one without I would pay around £60 more for the one with full OS.

Devices though, if I needed to record more stuff it would be the 800 but as I go off road the 450t is much better for me.

Don't get the Oregon 600 series, it is awful. It has more wireless bells and whistles but they took away what made the hand helds special. Namely a set back damn near unbreakable colour e-ink screen and put on a glass touch screen that goes right to the edge instead. It is as exactly as hardy as a iPhone, which would be fine if it were meant for cycling but it's meant to be clipped to your rucksack and forgotten about.

Top Bottom