Review of Decathlon's Network 700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I was planning to replace my hybrid for a while however after I got SMIDSYed by a van coming from the right the issue become more urgent. I wanted a bike for day to day local town work. I live half way up a steep hill so the lowest gear needs to be 30 gear inches or less for me to go up it and I need good brakes when I am going down it. When riding in town I don't like getting dressed up and looking like a cyclist i.e. wearing lycra. But I would rather not ruin any more trousers either.

I wanted a bike that had hub gears, eight of them would be enough and have disc brakes. V brakes work perfectly well but I have to replace the pads too frequently. Disc brake pad wear is suppose to be better.

Since Halfords stopped doing a hub gear Carrera Subway there wasn't much choice in the sub £600 hub geared bike market. Then Decathlon came out with the Network 700. I already own a red Triban 3 so was familiar with their offerings.

It seemed to fit my requirements. However while it makes a good attempt at being ready for work straight out of the box I did need to make it fit my requirements.

My first problem was the handle bars. Thanks to having short arms and an old elbow injury I need ones that are closer to me and raised. I opted for an adjustable stem and butterfly bars.

Having used modern dynamo lights I didn't want to go back to battery ones. I wanted a hub dynamo that was compatible with 6 bolt disc. Bike24 where able to supply me with such a wheel a long with a rear light. This with the 40 lux front light I retrieved off the old hybrid meant my lights conformed the German specification and where thus legal in this country. However since the Germans don't permit flashing lights I added a set of cheap 'be seen' ones.

With hub gears there are more options for chain guards. I wanted to enclose it as much as possible. After I had checked I didn't need to change the front chain ring I brought a Chainglide from Rose bikes. It was easy to fit and means I can put copious amounts of grease on it which doesn't end up on my trousers. I think it suits the style of the bike. Since the frame permits fitting a Gates belt drive without modification I looked into fitting it one but the cost was way too much. However if someone could sell a complete conversion kit for this bike at a reasonable price I might do it later.

I needed a rear rack and since it comes with disc brakes I suspected neither of mine would fit. However my Topeak did, without any modifications, but only just! I am going to get a clip on Topeak bag.

On the road it does what it says on the tin. I wanted a low maintenance day to day bike. To a large extent I've got that however having both cable operated discs brakes and gears I will have to adjust them as they wear. I also need to keep the chain well greased to cut down the friction in the chain case. But I hope only to have to do this once a month.

2014-07-16 12.01.41.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Technical glitch with the picture, now sorted. Yes I've got the 8 speed Alfine. It's got something like a 300% range, (please see SheldonBrown for exactness!)

jauling

Hey @beatlejuice, I found this thread after some major googling on nework 700/500 and hebie chainglider. Thanks for posting the photo, I registered here initially just so I could zoom in on it lol.

I went the cheaper route, and picked up a nework 500 before xmas, and just ordered a chainglider a few days ago. I've been researching a bit on a rear mounted kickstand, but it looks like its a bit difficult, considering the asymmetrical shape of the cross section of the tube. I tried a btwin one, but the fit was just so haphazard. I'm assuming you aren't mounting a kickstand on yours? The plan is that my nework 500 will be my daily commute and everyday ride, so I'm trying my best to 'harden' it up a little. Will be stopping by local shop to get some advice about this...

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I thought about a kickstand but like you I reckon there doesn't appear an easy way of fitting one. The Network 500 is an an absolute bargain at the moment. If you don't live in place not place not plagued by hills is great for commuters.

jauling

I thought about a kickstand but like you I reckon there doesn't appear an easy way of fitting one. The Network 500 is an an absolute bargain at the moment. If you don't live in place not place not plagued by hills is great for commuters.

What's a bit baffling is that Decathlon in NL told me to use this kickstand, while Decathlon UK (online) told me to use this one. Go figure. I tried the kickstand 500 again, and managed to crank it down tight enough that it doesnt move. This guy on a french forum posted a photo of it, so I said screw it, why not. I know, its just a kickstand, and I'm most likely being a bit too OCD about this! ^_^

Did you have to trim/cut your chainglider at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Did you have to trim/cut your chainglider at all?

Yes I did have to cut my chainglider. However a pair of sturdy scissors was adequate for the job.

Top Bottom