Is my alu frame beyond repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
While cycling home last Wednesday minding my own business I approached a cross where I had right of way. Saw the white van waiting Give Way line only for us to both met in the middle with me on top of his bonnet. There was a right party with police & ambulances with me laying on the ground kissing the tarmac. Thanks to a four night stay in Southampton General the four fractured ribs are on the mend.

However I don't feel so confident about my bike. I was riding a cheap aluminium framed hybrid about '06 vintage. I have signed up solicitors to deal with my claim. So I will be taking it along to a LBS to get it checked out. I am very dubious about how aluminium framed bikes stand this sort of impact. As I recall aluminium doesn't bend like steel. So could there be hairline fractures which aren't noticeable without special equipment?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn't have thought you would be too keen on riding it again as I suspect it must have fairly comprehensively bent, and not just the frame. Claim for a new one and sell the "write off" on eBay.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
See what the bike shop says when they examine it as they'll measure the frame & fork alignment.

If you're fortunate enough that it's not bent or dented, it'll be fine. If it is bent it's not advisable to try and straighten it (unless the bend is very, very slight) as this is when fatigue cracks are likely to form.

Aluminium is not usually like carbon fibre where there can be hidden damage only detectable by x-ray.

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
With respect, I very much disagree. If you have questions about the bike, then don't sell it on to someone else. If you can get a new one out of a legal settlement (and I'm sure that frame has some damage, right?) then just chop it up and recycle (done that, I wouldn't want someone riding and having a bad accident just to get a couple of bucks)..

Personally if I was involved in such an incident -and it sounds like it was quite an impact -I'm sure my bike frame would have been dented or bent such that a replacement one was required. I know I couldn't ride a bike after an accident without having 100% faith in its integrity.

I'd be surprized if the dents or slight misalignment would have been noticed at the time of the accident but can be pointed out now. Or maybe there are some serious scratches now that would require a full repaint of the frame? (don't forget cost of labour for stripping down frame, re powder coating etc, you get the picture)

I wouldn't have thought you would be too keen on riding it again as I suspect it must have fairly comprehensively bent, and not just the frame. Claim for a new one and sell the "write off" on eBay.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch GWS !
If in doubt as @Nigeyy says take it to a LBS and have it checked because if theres a crack somewhere it could go at any time but it could be fine so get it checked properly and if it is beyond economic repair scrap it and strip for parts .

Exactly as said before, if the bike shop says its damaged, scrap it, if they say its good then just wait to see what the solicitor comes up with, you may get a new bike out of it and still be able to sell the other one, but dont sell if there is any real structural damage, only cosmetic.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks everyone for you comments. I am siding very much with Nigeyy. Slamming into a car at 18 -20 mph must of caused some damage somewhere and it really isn't worth taking a chance. So I let my LBS check it over next week. Then scrap it, after taking some bits off it putting the frame in tip. I haven't had a good look at it since anything that involves lifting isn't particularly pleasant with four broken ribs.

Wobblers

Euthermic
GWS, @beatlejuice. As Cunobelin says, document all expenses, not just the bike. Remember to include the bill for any clothing that was ruined or damaged. Take photos of your injuries. The bike frame may be damaged, if so, it'll be a write-off. See what the LBS has to say.

Perhaps when WVM getrs clobbered by a hefty increase in next year's insurance, that'll remind him to take more care at junctions...

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
No, if you have doubts about the frame's condition, don't sell it, because you won't be doing the buyer any favour. Sorry, just realised I'd said what @Nigeyy already said.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I've got Slater & Gordon handling my claim, they do work for CTC. The VW Candy van pulled out of a side road straight at me. I ended up on his bonnet. My lower right side took most of the impact. I my attempt to avoid him I yanked the handle bars to the left which seems to have caused the front wheel to take most of the impact. It will no longer go round because it's catching on one of the front forks, i.e. it's pringle shaped.

sreten

Hi,

Of course claim your bike is a right off. In reality though aluminium is tricky
stuff, The impact may have no short term effect but has drastically reduced
the expected point of "expected long term failure" which is like planes,
going to happen a

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I got my bike to my LBS for them to check it over. First thing I noticed was that the forks were bent. They are currently writing its death certificate.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got my bike to my LBS for them to check it over. First thing I noticed was that the forks were bent. They are currently writing its death certificate.
A new bike is in the offing then?
Hope you are feeling better now. Broken ribs are not fun. Make sure that you don't watch anything funny on the TV for a while, use your SKY + recorder do-dah and watch when healed.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
A new bike is in the offing then?
Hope you are feeling better now. Broken ribs are not fun. Make sure that you don't watch anything funny on the TV for a while, use your SKY + recorder do-dah and watch when healed.

Yes, it's being delivered Friday! Hence the need to scrap the old one, there is no space left in the bike shed.
During the day I keep moving it's not too bad providing I don't do anything stupid, like cough, laugh etc. However sleepless nights are a different issue. I can't get anything like a proper nights kip. I am being to realise why sleep deprivation is so highly rated tool by torturers and brain washers.

Top Bottom