Review of new cycle rack:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Make & model: Tortech tour ultra

Retailer: Decathlon

Purchase date: 30.05.18

Price: £21.99

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tour-ultralite-rear-pannier-bike-rack-28-id_8407139.html

I thought I would write this mini review of my new rack because I am quite pleased with it.

Made from 10mm tubular aluminium. Apparently, using welded tubular alluminium is claimed to be one of the strongest methods of construction for bike racks.

Will fit bikes with 26" and 700c wheels.

Weighing less than 600g the max load capacity of 25 kg is quite impressive. That is the current size of a bag of cement. Rather you than me carrying that home from Wicks on the bike! That's a 3rd of what I weigh.

The rack is described as a pannier type, so is very capable of supporting my bag of choice on the (almost) 11cm wide frame.

Like most racks it has the usual mounting plate for a rear light. I will need to fabricate something out of 25mm tube and bolt on to the plate for my particular light bracket.

This is the bag I intend fitting (see photo). It's a very lightweight Highlander bag that I picked up last week in a charity shop-£1.99 and brand new!

I like how it fits below the seat level, and the shape of it sort of curves down towards the back of the bike.

I've ordered some 25mm elastic from ebay to make the securing straps. I already have the quick release fasteners to sew on the elastic.

Rack 1.jpg

Fitted.jpg

Width.jpg With bag.jpg

Have now moved the rear light from seat post to tail end of rack. It's still plenty light enough when cycling home, but best to be prepared.

I made a simple bracket from a piece of tube. Drilled 2 holes and fastened it to the rack with 2 setscrews.

20180622_183136.jpg
20180622_183736.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom