Review: Topeak race rocket HPX pump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had looked online and considered the following 3 pumps for my short list.

Lezyne HP drive mini pump with ABS flexible hose. £16.99

Topeak race rocket HP, (yellow handle) with extendable hose £22.49

Topeak Race Rocket HPX Pump with extendable hose £26.39

I would imagine that all 3 of these established brand pumps would be quite capable of doing the job of getting a cyclist out of a tight spot if required. Right or wrongly, I figured that a slightly longer pump would be a bit more efficient at doing the job it is intended for. With that in mind, I decided on the longest. This was the Topeak race rocket HPX measuring 25cm long in closed position. (35cm long when fully extended in use, so a stroke length of 10cm). The thickest part of the pump (each end) has a diameter of 22mm.

By opting for this one, it means I will not be able to carry the pump in one of the small wedge bags. (Larger bags are available of course). However, it fits quite well on the bike frame using the plastic bracket (provided) with the bracket held in place where you would fit the bottle cage. My bike has two mounting points for the bottle cage, so I have used one of these solely for the pump bracket. I have also used 2 pieces of Velcro (see photo). Not the coolest look but functional.

I let all the air out of my front tyre and put the pump through it’s paces. It took 150 to get the tyre up to a about 80 psi. It was easy to use with no difficulty at all in respect of the pumping action as I took the pressure a bit higher by another 30 pumps. The pump did not get hot.

The extendable hose for valve connection is not a separate item, meaning it is not intended to be removed from the pump-it simply slides out 186mm. The rubber material it is made from seems to be quite robust, which is good because without this hose the pump cannot function. (If anyone knows whether or not this is a serviceable part I would be interested to hear).The metal end of this hose will screw straight on to a Schrader valve in this position. The very end of the metal part can be unscrewed (not detached) about 10mm which very cleverly enables snug fitting on to a presta valve (see photos of both positions).

A rubber coated handle provides a comfortable grip for one hand. A rubber coated handle on both ends would have earned this pump 10/10

Verdict; Very impressed. 9/10

Attachments

• Topeak race rocket HPX.jpg
    Topeak race rocket HPX.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Fully extended.jpg
    Fully extended.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 236
  • Schrader position.jpg
    Schrader position.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Presta position.jpg