Revolution 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I am thinking about venturing southwards to a Revolution track event in early 2010 and looking for advice re where to stay (cheapish and close, or cheapish and close to transport....cheapish is important ;)), where is best to sit and any general advice.

Ta.

I'm sure we could find a 6'x2' piece of floor for you. Shame there isn't a Revolution event within a hundred miles of us...:biggrin: ;)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Chuffy said:
I'm sure we could find a 6'x2' piece of floor for you.

You'd need a more 'majestic' piece of floor than that for me anyway. ;)
Only shortarses could fit into such a small space....:biggrin:

Roundabouts the Velodrome is not the nicest part of Manchester (the whole Sportcity area was an inner-city regeneration project...), so I'd not know where to recommend you stay.

As for where to sit - the Revolution tickets don't have an allocated seat, it's first-come-first-seated, but the seats near the finish line or opposite it on the back straight probably has best view, or you can get up and wander about - there are no seats at the bankings at both ends, so you can lean over the barrier and marvel at how steep it is/how close the riders get to you.

There's a bar, or you can get coffee, or there's a chips&burgers kiosk.
- that's about the facilities.

You won't be driving ? - it can take over an hour to get out of the carpark, or the overflow carpark in the next-door Asda.

Skip Madness

Noodley said:
I am thinking about venturing southwards to a Revolution track event in early 2010 and looking for advice re where to stay (cheapish and close, or cheapish and close to transport....cheapish is important :biggrin:)
If cheapish is really such a big deal... I don't know what other people's experiences of the velodrome are, but when I went to the World Cup last year we needn't have bothered even buying tickets:
me]One thing worth noting was the total lack of any kind of security. We were never even asked to show our tickets [edit - we only showed them to a member of staff voluntarily to find our seats said:
. We could literally have walked right in without paying a penny and watched from the standing area over the banking and taken seats during the times when lots of people had not yet arrived/had already left. Anyone who missed out on tickets might want to give it a try.
Although if I hadn't paid to get in I'd have felt bad about taking a seat before people had started to leave late on. Plenty of standing room on both bends, though. I know we should support track cycling and paying keeps the events going etc. Just saying that if you're struggling to afford it then hope may not be lost. Having said that, it's a risk I'd rather take if I were a local than having to drive any significant distance to get there and end up being turned away.

Don't know if other people have found the same thing, particularly at a Revolution, which I've never attended.

[Edit - although it's not Revolution, I have just checked the website for the forthcoming World Cup and it is actively selling standing tickets as well as seating tickets, so I'm guessing it's no longer possible to creep in unannounced.]

where is best to sit and any general advice.
We were allocated seats at the World Cup, and seeing as we got a great position near the front on the start/finish line then we stayed there all evening. But when people started to filter out, it was sit wherever you like. Lots of people chose to stand above the bends, too. If it's first-come first-seated at Revolution as andy says then obviously if you get there in enough time take your pick.

If you're driving to the velodrome, we ended up in the overflow car park next to Asda and the football stadium, from where it was 5-10 minutes walk to the velodrome. It was fairly straightforward. I don't know what the public transport links are like.

longers

Legendary Member
The few times I've been to Revolution I've sat in a different place each time as it's unreserved and I don't really think there's any bad seats, all got unrestricted views and there's always something going on to watch. Getting up and walking round is good and going into the middle gives you a different view point.

Further to the beer, burger and chips mentioned there is a pancake stall and coffee being sold out the back of a car. You can always take a picnic in as well.

SimonC

Revolution is a cracking night of racing, I go with missus and two kids (9 and 7) and they also enjoy it.

Park in the overflow, bit further to walk, but queues to get out of main parking can take best part of an hour.

We have usually arrived about 6, grabbed seats near start/finish and then had some burgers, chips and beer:smile:

Never stopped over, but the surrounding area doesnt seem great, but hey, thats Manchester for you;)

Dave5N

Über Member
As for where to sit, come and join me. I don't sit, I'll be standing at bend three by the south Bank Grill. (It's handy for pies.)

livestrong10_02

i went to the first 12 revs but Novembers will be my first since then and will also be my 11yo nephews first experience of watching live track racing.. the new format should be interesting

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Thanks for the replies and the PMs :wacko:

Looks like there'll be a few of us from my club travelling down for the Jan 16 event.

Dave and anyone else going: I'll give you a shout closer to the time and arrange to say hello.

claver58

Über Member
Tickets for 1st Rev about sold out - other 3 will sell out quickly. We've bought a period pass for all 4.
http://cyclingrevolution.msgfocus.com/c/13iqiaEd8A1kbREVOLUTION TEAMS PUBLISHED THIS WEEK
The introduction of the new Revolution championship will also see the creation of eight new teams this season. We've been speaking to a selection of our audience and have had a discussion group on Facebook around team names so this is what we have created:
The inaugural championship will feature the Slicks, Dynamo, Tempo, Rollers, pacers, Flyers, Forza and Vitesse. Each team will have their own kit and will also be led by a team captain who will race throughout the season. Captains are confirmed as Dean Downing, Chris Newton, Rob Hayles, Craig MacLean, Ed Clancy, Jamie Staff, Luke Roberts and Roberto Chiappa.

Top Bottom