reynauds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thread resurrection
local facefluff page has someone advertising how they can help with reynauds in your feet, the person is a foot health practitioner which as far as i can work out means they cut your toenails and look after your bunions .I have asked how they can help as i fpr one am sceptical

Fat Lars

Just been out in the car and the tips of all the fingers on one hand have turned white and gone numb plus three on the other hand. I found this thread and it would seem that i may have Reynaud's Disease. The thing is its not that cold out there. Does this mean i have to wear gloves all the time? For thoses sufferers out there how do you guys deal with it?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I wear full finger gloves when cycling unless its over 20 c as even windchill can set mine off , holding the steering wheel this time of year can even make my fingers go white .

Fat Lars

I wear full finger gloves when cycling unless its over 20 c as even windchill can set mine off , holding the steering wheel this time of year can even make my fingers go white .
I feel the cold, same as everyone else does. However recently my hands have felt cold indoors, even though the temperature is 23 degrees. I've found myself shoving my hands inside my clothes under my armpits to get warm. This morning I've been out and about walking and no gloves, with no problems at all. Weird or what? So there is no consistency here.
It would seem that contributory factors are stress or too much caffeine or tea. I dont't think it's stress but probably coffee could be a cause. Ive been experimenting with a new coffee grinder's grain size to get the taste of my espresso more to my liking which requires a lot of tasting and drinking. Now its sorted I'll be back to my 3 cups a day routine.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I too get reynauds in my hands and occasionally my feet. I can't put it down to the cold as it occurs mid summer as often as it does in the winter, and i don't consider myself anxious or stressed either (the other cited causes). It's very random and somewhat annoying but i think it's just one of those things we have to learn to live with. I'm actually glad when the pins and needles come as that means normal feeling with soon return :smile:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I feel the cold, same as everyone else does. However recently my hands have felt cold indoors, even though the temperature is 23 degrees. I've found myself shoving my hands inside my clothes under my armpits to get warm. This morning I've been out and about walking and no gloves, with no problems at all. Weird or what? So there is no consistency here.
It would seem that contributory factors are stress or too much caffeine or tea. I dont't think it's stress but probably coffee could be a cause. Ive been experimenting with a new coffee grinder's grain size to get the taste of my espresso more to my liking which requires a lot of tasting and drinking. Now its sorted I'll be back to my 3 cups a day routine.
mine get cold inside , heck they can go white just getting a milk bottle out of the fridge and i dare not go out for any period of time this year gloveless

Fat Lars

I have ordered some Nitric Oxide supplements online which should arrive tomorrow. They are supposed to aid circulation. I'll see if they make any difference.

Gillstay

Über Member
Best thing I found on cold days was a heavy wool sweater with long sleeve so there was no heat loss before it reached my hands.
Another chainsaw user found that stopping smoking helped him. Shaking hands with him in his thirties was like shaking hands with a dead man.

Venod

Eh up
I have suffered with Raynauds for a long time, I put up with it wrapping up well and avoiding very cold day rides, but early 2020 it seemed to be getting worse, the fingers and hands have always been a problem but the toes and feet are getting worse, I sought medical advice and was prescribed Tensipene, just one a day, they are Nifedipine based which is used to treat high blood pressure, they don't suit everybody but I seem to have got used to them, when I first started I felt they made me feel dizzy so stopped, but the Raynauds was annoying me so I gave them a second go, I still get the white fingers occasionally but they defiantly help, I have cycled without gloves in temperatures that would have seen my fingers white previously, they aren't a cure but do make a difference.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/nifedipine/

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/10/smpc#gref

Last edited:

Fat Lars

OK I've done some research and thought I might share it with you. This may not apply to you and I'm not saying you should do this or that or stop any medication you might be taking etc. etc.
The thing is that it's not a disease. Its the autonomic nervous system (three parts) not functioning properly. The sympathetic system is one part and that deals with flight and fight reacting to stress, ncreasing HR, blood pressure, raised cortisol, clotting agents and inflammation. That works in opposition to the parasympathetic system which deals with long term stuff such as immune sytsem, digestion, healing and DNA repair. As one goes up the other goes down and v.v. With Raynauds the sympathetic and the parasympathetic are out of balance with each other. The whiteness and cold is the result of extreme constriction of the blood vessels in the outer extremities of the body, i.e.hands and feet.

It would seem that chronic stress is the major cause as is the case with many diseases. I believe that understanding this is the first step in dealing with it and then to reverse the condition by taking steps to get the body adapted to relaxing maybe even doing some meditation. In the short term if you start feeling cold which is a precursor to the condition, then it might help to put extra layers of clothing on.

When my hands went white in the car I was dropping off a return to Amazon to a collection point using a new system for the first time and I was unsure where to go and lookng back I was stressed for sure.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK I've done some research and thought I might share it with you. This may not apply to you and I'm not saying you should do this or that or stop any medication you might be taking etc. etc.
The thing is that it's not a disease. Its the autonomic nervous system (three parts) not functioning properly. The sympathetic system is one part and that deals with flight and fight reacting to stress, ncreasing HR, blood pressure, raised cortisol, clotting agents and inflammation. That works in opposition to the parasympathetic system which deals with long term stuff such as immune sytsem, digestion, healing and DNA repair. As one goes up the other goes down and v.v. With Raynauds the sympathetic and the parasympathetic are out of balance with each other. The whiteness and cold is the result of extreme constriction of the blood vessels in the outer extremities of the body, i.e.hands and feet.

It would seem that chronic stress is the major cause as is the case with many diseases. I believe that understanding this is the first step in dealing with it and then to reverse the condition by taking steps to get the body adapted to relaxing maybe even doing some meditation. In the short term if you start feeling cold which is a precursor to the condition, then it might help to put extra layers of clothing on.

When my hands went white in the car I was dropping off a return to Amazon to a collection point using a new system for the first time and I was unsure where to go and lookng back I was stressed for sure.
I read (HERE) that there are 2 broad categories. Primary Raynaud's may be due to stress (among other things). The secondary type may be caused by more serious underlying medical conditions.

My Reynauds was induced by my chemotherapy but touch wood two years later although my toes get cold they don't loose feeling and corns on them have finally healed and all but one of my toenails is the colour it should be. In the hands it's just the tips of the fingers that go cold, white and numb.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

UPDATE
I was on tablets from july till september but stopped them as the side effects made me light headed and facial sweating so i contacted the doctors who gave me a phone consult.
The doctor suggested changing to a slow release once a day tablet but i have to monitor my BP , which in a way as i have high BP anyway and these meds lower it
If that doesnt work i can try another med not for reynuads but mrs ck already takes for her BP

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
UPDATE
I was on tablets from july till september but stopped them as the side effects made me light headed and facial sweating so i contacted the doctors who gave me a phone consult.
The doctor suggested changing to a slow release once a day tablet but i have to monitor my BP , which in a way as i have high BP anyway and these meds lower it
If that doesnt work i can try another med not for reynuads but mrs ck already takes for her BP

I get really bad Reynauds, and use heated glove inners, which are a miracle cure, and have none of the side effects of medication.

Pricey mind, and don't last forever.

I use Blazewear, but there are others.

Popped them on at the top of the Cat and Fiddle today, 7 mile descent in single figure temperatures which even with the best gloves possible would set off the Raynaud's. No problem!

You need to wear under a pair of very well insulated windproof gloves.

https://www.blazewear.com/active-glove-liners-black-

Top Bottom