reynolds 501/531 frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
are all these old steel frames spaced at 126mm at the rear stays or can you get them spaced at 130mm?
thanks

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Some are so spaced - you can get the more modern steel bikes with 130mm

If you have a 126 and need a 130 then you need to cold set the frame - here's Sheldon

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

PpPete

Legendary Member
126 to 130mmm doesn't need cold setting. You can spring the drop-outs apart that far with your fingers to re-install a wheel without difficulty.
Some older frames are 120 mm though. That does need cold-setting.
Personally I prefer pushing the drop-outs apart with nuts & penny washers on a length of threaded rod (which doubles as a makeshift headset press).
Much more controllable (and easier to maintain symmetry) than attacking it with a length of timber as recommended by Sheldon.
On a 531 frame you probably need to wind the nuts out to 145mmm or beyond because the spring-back is massive.

Mickle will be along soon to advise against though, on grounds that drop-out faces will no longer be parallel, and that everything will go tits-up as a result.
I can only say that having cold-set several frames by both methods (and once over-cooked it with Sheldon's method, and subsequently bending it back) I've yet to see any failures even after several thousand km.

gbb

Legendary Member
With care it shouldnt be a problem, i opened a 531 frame from 126 to 135 using the lump of wood method. No issues with dropout or hanger alignment, the only thing that concerned me was the rear brake bridge which is a drilled tube on my Clubman. Its quite slender and i became concerned it was going to seperate from the stays so i used a big jubilee clip to clamp it all together while i was bending, Probably quite uneccessary, but you know how it is when a thought gets in your head,

Top Bottom