Reynolds 531 Exclusive Millenium Design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Hi, I recently purchased a second hand road bike, I believe it was built around 1997. Could anyone give me more information on the Reynolds 531 Millenium tubing. I'm familiar with the usual 531 tubes but have not come across this red labelled tubing before. image.jpg image.jpg

paul-kent

Maybe it's different to celebrate the new century??

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have a frame made from that (I think). Mine doesn't have lugs; the frame is brazed. The sticker isn't red though. Might it mean the frame has been repainted?

Drago

Legendary Member
By that time Reynolds had ceased manufacturing 531, except to special order. It'll be called 531 Millenium because that's what the customer wanted to call it. Materially it will be good old 531.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I have a frame made from that (I think). Mine doesn't have lugs; the frame is brazed. The sticker isn't red though. Might it mean the frame has been repainted?
I'm sure the frame hasn't been repainted. There is a Reynolds sticker that says 'RENOVATED' in red letters under the 531.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Thank you for all your replies. I think I may have found the answer on another cyclechat thread. Exclusive Millenium design was a custom drawn tube set made for welding rather than braising. Apparently the butt ends are of a thicker gauge steel to prevent any weakening when welding.

Top Bottom