Reynolds 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimn8

The frame of my bike of 5 years has a decal Reynolds 531 Exclusive Millennium Design. Does any one have any information about this frame tubing:?:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Reynolds 531 is a good quality tubing used by a lot of frame builders. It is a steel carbon mix. Should be a reasonable frame if made out of this.

MajorMantra

jimn8 said:
It is the "Exclusive Millennium Design" that I should like to know more about!

That'll be some manufacturer's marketing spiel for some particular 'edition' of the bike. What brand is it?

Matthew

02GF74

Über Member
surely lugs are heavier? it is possible to weld steel, may saracent mountain bike is welded - not 530 tubing but pretty sure it'll be butted (is ne of their top frames back in the days before they started to make shitty full suspension bikes)

brodie

Obviously, steel can be welded but 531 steel has to be brazed because brazing has a lower temperature than welding. The higher welding temperature would weaken 531 too much.

Other steels such as 853 are designed to be welded.

As I recall Millenium was a version with short butts specially for welding instead of brazing.
If this "Exclusive Millennium Design" 531 frame is actually welded then it would also have much thicker walls at the tube ends to make up for the loss of strength from welding. Tubing designed for welding can have shorter butts because of the smaller heat affected zone.

Not sure what new info there is to be added. It was a custom-drawn tubeset specifically for welding purposes, as stated earlier. Three years earlier, in fact....

Kernowdreamer

Resurrecting this as a result of researching 531 Millenium.
The reason regular 531 isn't welded is not because of any difference in the composition of the metal. It is because it is drawn to such thin sections that welding would introduce too much heat into the joints, distort the material and cause stress points and missalignment of the finished frame.
531 Millenium would appear to have shorter thicker butted sections to alleviate this issue without raising the weight of the tubeset significantly.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Makes sense,@Kernowdreamer , let alone that thin walled tubing may be more difficult to weld without blowing holes in it. I originally thought "Millenium Tubing" may have been commemorative, like "Anniversary" tubing decals from 1985.
reynolds-531-tubing-sticker-50th-anniversary_edited-1.jpg

Top Bottom