Reynolds 531 refers to the ratio of the major elements. Myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Just interesting info:

531 refers to the metal alloy's proportions, which is 5 parts manganese, 3 parts carbon, 1 part molybdenum.

Edit:
The info is from "The Custom Bicycle, Michael Kolin and Denise de la Rosa", the chapter about Bicycle Tubing page 24.
Quote “Reynolds 531 is a manganese-molybdenum tubing the 531 refers to the ratio of the major elements it contains.”

But, the consensus seems to be that the book is incorrect.............
Reynolds531TechnicalAdvice.jpg

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Presumably there's a dash of iron in there somewhere?

S-Express

Just interesting info:

531 refers to the metal alloy's proportions, which is 5 parts manganese, 3 parts carbon, 1 part molybdenum.

'531' is just a brand name, like 520, 525, 653, 753, 853, 953 and the rest. If those were the alloy proportions of each tube set, there would be some very interesting concoctions there.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The approximate alloying composition of 531 tubing is 1.5% Mn, 0.25% Mo, 0.35% C, and is similar to the old British BS970 En 16/18 steel (EN 16 is similar to grade BS970 605M36). Its mechanical properties and response to heat treatment are broadly similar to the AISI 4130 standard alloy steel, also used for bicycle frames, motorcycles, as well as aviation and motor-sport.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_531

That doesn't look like 5:3:1 ratios to me :smile:

There's lots of Reynolds steels, but they don't relate to composition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Cycle_Technology

winjim

Smash the cistern
20160725_193234.jpg
My daughter's training to be a metallurgist. Here's her first go at making a steel.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The info is from "The Custom Bicycle, Michael Kolin and Denise de la Rosa", the chapter about Bicycle Tubing page 24.
Quote “Reynolds 531 is a manganese-molybdenum tubing the 531 refers to the ratio of the major elements it contains.”

Maybe, the book is incorrect.............

Edited my first post to reflect this thread's posts viewpoint.

Last edited:

S-Express

Steel content is usually given in percentages, so quoting content in 'parts' without an upper reference doesn't really mean anything useful. 531's nearest 'regular' rival tubeset would be something like 4130 cromo, and again that doesn't have anything like the content suggested above either. I would say the book is inaccurate.

midlife

Guru
Just interesting info:

That's what the all the reps told us too although we knew it was a porky :smile:. I guess it was spread about BITD rather like an urban myth of today :smile: No internet back then LOL. Just trying to think of others......ah yes, "driest is fastest".

Shaun

Top Bottom