Reynolds 953 frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

I`ve found some refs to Reynolds 953 on the Interweb but most relate to custom frame builders. Does anyone know if "off the peg" 953 framesets are being produced by any of the big players ? Ta

RedBike

No Idea; I've got a 953 bike on loan at the moment. The owner isn't going to get it back if I get my way!

I thought £1500 for a steel frame was daylight robbery; but having ridden the bike for the past few days I must admit I am very tempted to splash out one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's custom usually, but only a few builders are able to build with it - it's also not cheap.

What's it like Redbike - I'd love one one day !

RedBike

It's hard to describe. It's got that sterotypical springy steel ride, but unlike say 531 it's increadably light.

All day comfort with high end race bike handeling.

yenrod

Sounds bloody great !

BTW - is that you in your pic???

IF SO = you need to ride that bike a bit more :wacko:

OP
OP
J

jimbut

The frame builders sites I`ve visited are asking around the £1400 mark for a custom 953 frame. I figure off the peg 953 frames should be at about the £900 - £1000 mark... but where to go for one is the BIG question, espec if you happen to reside in N Ireland.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't get off the peg 953 as it's too expensive/no market for it - the market these days is carbon.

There is very little quoted for frame weights of 953 because of all the tube options.

Rob S

Me wants one of these....

http://frameforum.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=

Not sure how the lugs and fork crown work, they are mirror polished but presumably not made of stainless steel themselves...hope they doen't rust!!!

OP
OP
J

jimbut

OK no 953 off the peg. Can you get Reynolds 853 framesets OTP. I ask these questions cos I have a Reynolds 531C bike which rides like a dream tho it is approaching 20 yrs old. Thought about upgrading that bike but I have reservations ( due to frame age alone ). Do not want to go down carbon route but want a rigid and light as possible frame which has a ride as good as ( and perhaps better ) than the 531C.
Frames I would consider are top-notch Columbus, Reynolds or Easton. Any good sites for possibly picking something of that nature up ? Ta for any input.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I ask these questions cos I have a Reynolds 531C bike which rides like a dream tho it is approaching 20 yrs old
There is absolutely no reason to think there is anything wrong with this frame, unless great lumps of rust come tumbling out when you shake the frame. A respray is really cheap and you can have any braze ons added that you want, etc.

ASC1951

Guru
jimbut said:
Can you get Reynolds 853 framesets OTP.
Lots of them, I think. I use a Graham Weigh frame for my winter road fixie - Deeside Cycles were offloading them for about £250 three or four years ago. Very light, comfortable, responsive ride.

reynolds953

Reynolds 953

jimbut said:
I`ve found some refs to Reynolds 953 on the Interweb but most relate to custom frame builders. Does anyone know if "off the peg" 953 framesets are being produced by any of the big players ? Ta

Hi Jimbut,

I have searched for off the peg (OTP) framesets but unfortunately these have not been mass produced yet, probably due to a number of reasons i.e. demand, cost, complexity etc. In any case, if you are willing to part with £ 900 - £ 1000 for a off the peg frameset then you would be much better off going for a custom build (for all the obvious advantages) for a mere 40% extra.

However, if you are still interested in a pre-fab 953 frameset, i might know someone who has it, in a range of sizes (not sure if he still does but i will check it out). What size frameset are you looking for? If you drop me a mail, i will get back to you. It would cost around the £1000 mark though.

Hope this helps....

best wishes,
reynolds

Gordon Eady

Hi there, the only builders I know who offer frames in 953 are Rourke Cycles in Stoke on Trent, Chas Roberts in Croydon and Enigma in Pevensey in Sussex. I know that Thorn have been playing about with the tube for over a year now but when I approached them tried to persuade me to go for one of their 853 Audax Bikes?!

I don't know of any off the shelf factory built 953 framed bikes and you need to be thinking of forking out £1300 - 1600 for a custom built 953 frame but I'm considering a Roberts Audax tourer in 953 to replace my beloved Dawes Super Galaxy.

I was lucky enough to have a one to one with Terry Bill at Reynolds in Birmingham last year and we discussed 953 at length. He did say that only the boutique custom builders have shown interest as far and tend to offer it as a high end frame to rival Columbus Nivacrom frames.

I intend to meet with Roberts in the next couple of weeks to discuss my new frame, I'll post a comment on here when I know more but I tell you what I'm really excited about it I can tell you!B)

Gordon Eady

Hi there I can highly reccomend Argos Cycles of Bristol if you want to restore your bike frame to it's former glory. The have access to all the origional design decals inc the Reynolds 531 range so you're bike could look brand new if you like. They restored my Dawes Super Galaxy two years ago and are currently restoring my 27 year old Holdsworth Competition inc new braze-ons re setting the drop outs for 10 speed etc. It's gonna look amazing:thumbsup:

Give them a look
Argos Cycles

There is absolutely no reason to think there is anything wrong with this frame, unless great lumps of rust come tumbling out when you shake the frame. A respray is really cheap and you can have any braze ons added that you want, etc.

Top Bottom