Rhyming slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rhyming slang has fascinated me ever since I lived in London.

I like some of the more obscure phrases.

A mate asked me if I fancied 'a tumble'.

I wondered what was afoot, but it was only an innocuous invitation to the pub.

Tumble down the sink - drink.

How silly of me not to realise what he meant.

Any other examples you have heard?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Let's go down the battle cruiser and get a couple of britneys down our gregory.

I also like rhyming slang, even though it makes me sound like a pretentious twat!

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's the more obscure rhymes I like.

'arris' (aristotle - bottle - bottle and glass - arse)

I believe some of the obscure phrases were used as code between those who understand.

Thus a remark might be passed about a lady's 'arris' without, in theory, her realising she was being spoken about.

Slightly dodgy ground here, but I've heard the term 'hand grenade' and 'macca' used to refer to a coloured gentleman without him knowing.

Bookies used 'back slang' for the same reason: 'neves' for seven.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Slightly dodgy ground here, but I've heard the term 'hand grenade' and 'macca' used to refer to a coloured gentleman without him knowing.

There's a particularly offensive one used by the Weedgies in reference to people of a certain Asian country who they refer to as Hamiltons. Hamilton Academical being shortened to Accies.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3889301, member: 259"]I never realised that the American word 'bread' originated in cockney rhyming slang - as 'bread and honey' for money.[/QUOTE]

Pie and mash - cash.

Nelsons or Nelson Eddies - readies.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You're aving a Giraffe

Or a tin bath.

Thanks for getting the purpose of the thread.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I believe some of the obscure phrases were used as code between those who understand.

Thus a remark might be passed about a lady's 'arris' without, in theory, her realising she was being spoken about.

Bookies used 'back slang' for the same reason: 'neves' for seven.
I always understood it was to avoid paying taxes, the local guys developed a way to talk about money and it developed into an almost complete language.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3889334, member: 259"]It's interesting it's still evolving. Does anyone still use "Gary" for arse?[/QUOTE]
A Gary was always the toilet. Gary Glitter -Shitter
Arse was Khyber.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
"Do you know who I had in the back of the flounder?

"An ice cream who left his macaronis."

(Ice cream freezer - geezer).

Top Bottom