Ribble Bike Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi,

I am fortunate enough that my employer is signed up to the cyclescheme. I was originally not to worried as i love my Giatn Defy however after having a look through the Ribble website i can get what seems on paper a very good bike for just over the 1k budget.

What are the general thoughts on Ribble bikes? I havent seen the option for custom builds elsewhere but then its not like i see the brand everytime i head out..

Is the spec below okay? I am still a little confused around groupsets etc but i can get ultegra set up as well for again just over the 1k marker..

Frame
Ribble 7046 Sportive Curved Frame
Groupset
Shimano 105 (5700) Silver 10 Spd Double Groupset
Hide Groupset Data
Cassette
Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette 12-25
Chainset
Shimano 105 Silver Double 5700/5750 10 Spd Chainset 5700 172.5 39/53
Wheels
CSN Superleggera XL50 Clincher Wheels Pair Pr Whls Superleggera XL50 Cli Blk/Red 10 Shim
Handlebars
Deda RHM 01 Bars Black 42cm
Handlebar Stem
Deda Zero 1 Stem Black 100mm
Headset Spacers
Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 10mm
Saddle
Selle Italia X1 Flow Saddle Black
Seatpillar
CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm
Tyres
Continental Ultra Sport 2 Rigid Tyre Black/Black 700x23mm
Handlebar Tape
Deda Cork Ribbon Handlebar Tape Carbon Black
Price excluding Pedals:£1,231.85
Approx Weight ex Pedals:0.000
Pedals:No Pedals currently selected.
Total Price inc Pedals:£1,231.85

Drago

Legendary Member
Decent enough, but not stellar. You'll get better for a lot less. I blagged a ride on one recently and wasn't blown away, although it was far from bad.

The likes of Spesh, dale, Giant, Felt etc all do better spec'd, better riding, more modern bikes for less.

MrWill

Would'nt buy that, way overpriced Almost every part is real cheapest of the cheap stuff.

Same thing from Felt or Giant is about £900-1000

For perspective I've just built a kinesis Racelight t2 with 105 5800 groupset, Campy Zondas, GP4000s, Thomson seatpost, nice good quality bars... stem, tape etc for £200 less than that.

Saw a carbon Boardman in Halfords with Ultegra for £900 last month, when they were doing that 20% off all bikes thing.

Could list loads of better bikes for less but you get the jist already I guess.

AndyRM

XOXO
What @User3094 said.

I'd be interested in seeing these better specced bikes from the big manufacturers (except without looking Canyon maybe?), because I can't think of anything. 105 is fairly standard at this price, and you're adding a rather nice set of wheels.

The bike @Roadrider48 mentions is up to £1,200 these days, though that's still a bargain if you're able to be flexible with your scheme.

noodle

not overly relevant but i used to live a hundred yards from the shop in preston
maybe relevant
the amount of accents who would turn up to buy the bikes having drove from edinburgh suffolk..... always told me something even though i was never a road bike fan
i know sod all about all the components listed but ribble frames were (please note the were as ive not been around them in a few years) quite highly regarded

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Have a look at www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk

They have literally hundreds of sale bikes at the moment & accept cyclescheme on sale stuff too.

If buying a sale bike on a cyclescheme voucher you will pay a 10% fee/upcharge as this is what the scheme charges the retailer, I did just this last week.

2014 Cube bikes have 25% off & are better specced & better quality than the Ribble stuff.

Example, 2014 Cube Agree GTC, full carbon, 10 speed Tiagra & Fulcrum wheels for £899 (higher spec models still available too).

That Ribble.

The frame/forks are probably good.

The groupset is old 10 speed 5700 so quite cheap to buy now.

Those deep clinchers are heavy & most likely will reduce performance.

Deda make good stems & bars etc, but these are basic, low end, cheap items.
Deda cork bar tape (cheap & nasty).

CSN alloy seat post (heavy) uncomfortable (compared to carbon).

IMO it is overpriced & under specced compared to other stuff out there (especially 2014 sale bikes).

Also bear in mind that, when I was considering an R872 Ribble, I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone & when they did, the guy tried to palm me off with a wrong size frame as they didn't have my size in stock.

You pays your money...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ribble kit is usually OK.
Ribble customer service can be shockingly bad - to the point of an answerphone message saying "we can't be bothered to answer the phones this week - use email"....and no-one reading the mail; not good when they've had your wheels for 3 months for a warranty issue....
Strangely enough, that was the last time I bought anything from Ribble.

Planet X bikes are probably the best VFM around at the moment, especially if you can get up to Sheffield to try one for size (or know exactly what geometry will fit you).

MrWill

Its a bargain. The wheels are worth ~£500 alone.

Ignore these muppets ^
Have a look into those wheels ...2.157g a pair without skewers.

Every single component is the cheapest you can get. Yet they want £1230! You see the blingy looking wheels and frame and you get all exited. What a mug you must be.

You need to refrain from insulting people so casually.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Aside from an uncompetitive price-per-spec, I also found the Ribble designs quite old-fashioned. For example, the sport bike and training bikes don't have tapered head steerers. All these little cumulative differences added up to a bike that simply wasn't as lively and responsive as the Giants, 'dales, Spesh's, and Felts I test rode when making my buying decision.

The feeling I get is that a lot of Ribbles business is from people who get excited by the name.

MrWill

Oh to the op, i'd really advise that if you buy a bike with 105 on, get the newer 5800 version. It's far better and will retain the bikes value.

Top Bottom