Ribble Endurance SL Disc vs Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dcb198

Hi Guys,

I finally managed to save £2500 for a new road bike. Currently riding a 2012 Specialized Allez and been wanting an upgrade of years. As the money was being saved, I was sure I wanted a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 Disc, but with the recent canyon price hikes and Brexit plus the cost of delivery I just kept seeing the price going higher and higher (£2,455.98). So I thought to have a look around to see if I could get anything better for the price and came across the Ribble Endurance SL Disc.

Ribble Endurance SL Disc. 105 Group set starting at £1899 which I upgraded with a Level 5 Carbon Integrated Road Bar & Stem (£300) Plus delivery (£40)= Total: £2239.00. Wheelset: Mavic Aksium Dsc 700c Wheelset. Weight Medium 8.6 KG

Canyon Ultimate CF Sl 7 Disc: Total Cost: £2,455.98. Weight: 7.90KG. 105 Groupset. Wheelset: DT Swiss P 1850 Spline db.

I am really torn between these two choices. Feel like the canyon comes with a slightly better wheelset and is lighter but the Ribble comes with the integrated carbon cockpit. Moreover, the Ribble is £216.98 cheaper.

Would really appreciate your thoughts. This bike needs to last me for the next 5 years plus.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Get the Ribble but bin off the upgraded bar and stem (HOW MUCH?) and upgrade the wheels :okay:

Agreed. One piece bar and stem is pro territory where they can chop and change if it doesn't suit them.

Separate stem and bars far more versatile - and bars are a consumable anyway. If you have an off and they get banged you can replace for £30.

I'd not worry about the weight either. They're often unreliable.

I'd also look at planet X. You're into Ultegra price levels there.

Buck

Guru
I looked at Ribble vs Canyon when buying my latest bike.

The wheel set on the Ribble is at the cheaper end and will be a worthy upgrade but that will cost you more than the difference. The DT Swiss get a better review. My friend gave me some sage advice to spec the bike as best I could where it mattered and if I could get a good set of wheels, go for it! I upgrade to the next model to get better wheels and the cost to me was less than the difference in the cost of the wheels.

The Canyon prices have rocketed recently and without checking, they may now be more expensive on a true like for like but when I bought mine the price was virtually the same but the Canyon was a better all round spec.

The integrated cockpit is nice but is very much just that, a nice to have. Us mere mortals will only ever admire the aesthetics rather than the aero or weight saving. I have the same on my Canyon but only as it was part of the basic spec and not a must have for me.

I also preferred the colour options/design of the Canyon and the £40 (at the time) delivery charge was a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of a reasonable bike these days.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Decathlon are worth a look too if you are looking for value. They have a rim braked bike in stock now in XS, S & M and at £2,229 for an carbon bike with Ultegra and carbon hoops if a great deal:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/ultra-cf-ultegra-carbon-road-bike/_/R-p-301058?mc=8545916&c=BLACK

There are others on the website but stock is a problem. A 105 Carbon bike for £1,500 and one with Potenza for £2,000. You can't really go wrong if you don't mind rim brakes. And if you want discs if you can hang on a week I gather some new bikes are getting released.

I have noticed though that since Brexit the bikes prices have all gone up a couple of hundred quid.

Top Bottom