Ribble Gran Fondo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Recently bought a 2 year old Gran Fondo frame and built it up.

Frame paint job still excellent. One or two small chips and the usual paint cracks but nothing to worry about.

Forks have lost a large part of the paint covering the alloy section around the calipers due to chipping. They are pretty heavy (alloy steerer) but do a job and match the colour of the frame. It's a quick fix (primer and paint).

Quite a bit of deep rub marks as though the paint wears easily.

On the road the frame is light (L size weighed 1050g) and responsive with a noticeably high comfort level.

Would I pay £500 for frame & forks? - yes.

But the first affordable second hand frames from the Carbon boom of the late 00's are beginning to creep onto eBay and at say £100 - £200 are definitely worth a look.

Assumption time, but a quick dig following your other Gran Fondo thread turned up THIS.

So on the assumption this is the one you bought I have only one thing to say.......................BARGAIN* :thumbsup:

*as long as carbon's your thing :tongue:

OP
OP
accountantpete

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Assumption time, but a quick dig following your other Gran Fondo thread turned up THIS.

So on the assumption this is the one you bought I have only one thing to say.......................BARGAIN* :thumbsup:

*as long as carbon's your thing :tongue:

That's the one!

Although you should know that the guy's wheels were flexy flex flex things so there is horrendous tyre rub to the chain stays near to BB. It hasn't gone through to the middle of the carbon so I might get away with it.

OP
OP
accountantpete

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Strewth! His wheels must have been made of jelly. I'm a big guy, and I've ridden some seriously low spoke wheels in my time, but I've never experienced that level of flex!

You would think he might have noticed that the hills were getting a bit hard to climb up wouldn't you!

Wheel flex AND tyre rub and I'll bet his brake pads were rubbing on the rims too!:heat:

Wheel flex AND tyre rub and I'll bet his brake pads were rubbing on the rims too!:heat:
Brake rub! - His rear caliper must have been swinging from side to side with that flex!

Must have felt like riding one of these
snkbrd.gif

Top Bottom