Ribble - I'm impressed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...popped into Ribble Cycles today as Jane wanted a new computer. Got that sorted and then I started asking the guys in there a couple of questions as part of my roadie research.

They were ace, although they knew I wasn't going to buy one soon and it was quite busy in the shop, they offered to put me on the fitting rig and measure me for a sloping tube frame which is what I want (although for some reason they seem to add about £200 to the price tag) and played around with the fit for me till it was right.

They initially suggested I would be a 54 (c2c) and it turned out that was spot on, especially once they shortened the stem from 120 to 100mm. I know I haven't ridden an actual bike, but on the rig it just felt completely right, no funny aches, pains or pressure anywhere (apart from the rather lethal saddle that is) and I didn't feel upside down or stretched out like I had expected at all.

They were so helpful, was a bit worried after some of the comments I had read on here about them being a bit snobby and elitist at times, it was nothing like that at all - would feel completely confident buying from them!

Then they went through the whole process with jane again till we had to run off to watch the tour de france, so I'm well impressed at the moment.

Had a look through the catalogue, and they have a special edition one with a dedacciai frame and 105 for £799 - having one built with tiagra would be about 100 less, so might not be worth the saving in the long run, although I'm not sure if I need 105. In fact, what I need first are about £500 - once they turn up, I'll definitely be back in that shop again, especially with it only being half a mile down the road (although I'll obviously try some other makes as well).

Just thought this might be useful for some other people who might have been reluctant about going there - definitely turned out to be extremely useful for me!!!! :biggrin:

RedBike

I like my Ribble winter bike.

It's a rather heavy frame but at least that extra weight (material) has been put to good use. The frames nice and stiff in the right places and rides very well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
105 would be 10 speed - might not seem like a big deal, but with every manufacturer seemingly going to 11 soon, I reckon the 9 speed stuff (like Tiagra) may become hard to get. You'll have more choice for upgrades, and more choice of cassette ratios with a ten speed system.

(And 105's shifters look way better than the bulky tiagra ones :biggrin: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've dealt with Ribble for a long time - popped up and bought my Dura Ace groupset from them 17 years ago, and have had 2 653 frames from them - one got mashed by a transit van though. I still have the replacement Ribble 653 as my training bike. They are also good price wise for chain rings....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
John the Monkey said:
105 would be 10 speed - might not seem like a big deal, but with every manufacturer seemingly going to 11 soon, I reckon the 9 speed stuff (like Tiagra) may become hard to get. You'll have more choice for upgrades, and more choice of cassette ratios with a ten speed system.

(And 105's shifters look way better than the bulky tiagra ones :smile: )

9 speed stuff will be available for years still. It's still easy to get 7 and 8 speed cassettes after all...

doyler78

Well they don't make their own frames if that's what you are asking, but then there are many bike sellers out there that don't either.

I would say they are both.

monnet

Guru
Glad you had a good experience, I know a couple of the guys that work in the shop and they're good lads. For price you can't beat them and if the frame fits and all that...

I've got a winter frame and it's a bit long in the top tube for me but it's fine for commuting and 30 mile post work rides. However, I've stopped shopping there after a run in with the owners. I know for a fact that the staff get a pretty rough deal.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
yello said:
I read that as 2,653... and was impressed by your memory!

Punkypossum, you've didn't have a low cut top on did you?

As far as I remember, the zip was up! :angry:

The one thing I'm not sure about with their frames is that they are designed for 23mm tyres (although they will apparently take 25...) That seems terribly skinny....(then again, I'm coming from a mtb point of view)....What do you guys ride? Do I need anything bigger than 25?

My dropped bar road bike has 23c's. The 1st time I rode it they felt a little narrow and skittish but after that they've been great. I had 28c's on the flat bar road bike but I've changed them to 25c's back in Jan and I've never regretted it, well perhaps I could have went for 23c's :biggrin:.

skwerl

RedBike said:
I like my Ribble winter bike.

It's a rather heavy frame but at least that extra weight (material) has been put to good use. The frames nice and stiff in the right places and rides very well.

how tall are you?
I'm thinking about getting one of their winter frames and guess I'd need a 56. My current bike's a 55
I'm 5'11"

monnet

Guru
skwerl said:
how tall are you?
I'm thinking about getting one of their winter frames and guess I'd need a 56. My current bike's a 55
I'm 5'11"

They size up big, 56 might be ok. I there is a bike builder section on their website. Check it out and it will give you all the dimensions.

Top Bottom