England : Lancashire Ribble Valley Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butty1972

Hi, not sure if this qualifies as an actual sportive but...

http://www.ribblevalleyride.org/

Sunday June 14th, 25/60/100 mile routes.

(warning, may cross into Yorkshire at various points)

It will be my very first attempt at anything like this, I am hoping to sign up for the 60 mile option. There are pre-pay and 'on the day' rates, usually £5 more, so if you're worried about the weather at all you can hedge your bets a bit and just turn up if it's nice :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have fun!

A somewhat cheaper option (free! :smile:) which might also be of interest - I will be organising 2 CycleChat forum rides in the Ribble Valley this year, both starting from Spring Wood picnic centre on the A671 above Whalley. The first ride (at the end of March) will head out over the Trough of Bowland to Glasson Dock. One in the summer will be much more lumpy, heading out to Wray over the Cross of Greet and returning via Bowland Knotts. You'd be welcome to join us!

Osprey

Guru
I wish I lived nearer. That Ribble valley ride looks great and the feedback from the forum on Colin J,s rides are the are always great. Ride and have fun. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

Have fun!

A somewhat cheaper option (free! :smile:) which might also be of interest - I will be organising 2 CycleChat forum rides in the Ribble Valley this year, both starting from Spring Wood picnic centre on the A671 above Whalley. The first ride (at the end of March) will head out over the Trough of Bowland to Glasson Dock. One in the summer will be much more lumpy, heading out to Wray over the Cross of Greet and returning via Bowland Knotts. You'd be welcome to join us!

Hello Hebden Bridge!

Thanks for the invite Colin, and I'll keep an eye out for them, but I'm still very much a novice at this and can't believe I'm trying to do a 60 mile ride...

M.

ColinJ

Hello Hebden Bridge!

Thanks for the invite Colin, and I'll keep an eye out for them, but I'm still very much a novice at this and can't believe I'm trying to do a 60 mile ride...

M.
If you keep doing regular rides and gradually increase the length of them, you will be doing 60-milers sooner than you think!

Speed takes a lot more work though. I managed to get my maximum range up to over 100 miles in 6 months, but only average 10-13 mph on most rides.

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

"If you keep doing regular rides and gradually increase the length of them, you will be doing 60-milers sooner than you think!"

Time is the enemy :-) Fitting rides in is pretty tricky at the moment...

ColinJ

"If you keep doing regular rides and gradually increase the length of them, you will be doing 60-milers sooner than you think!"

Time is the enemy :-) Fitting rides in is pretty tricky at the moment...
I was going to suggest a bike commute, but I see in an earlier post of yours that you can only do it on Fridays. That's tricky, then!

Perhaps when the mornings and evenings are lighter and warmer you might be able to get a ride in before the school run, or after your child's bedtime?

Another possibility would be to nip out during your lunch break and do 10 miles or so? It doesn't sound a lot but if you warmed up for a couple of miles and then did some short bursts at higher speed, it would be probably be enough to really bring your fitness on. Then try and get one longer ride in at the weekend?

iggibizzle

Shouldn't take too long to get to 60mile / 100km fitness. Road bike? The lad who I go out with on longer rides had only done about 200km in his life. Took him on a 40km, then a 70km, then 100km within a few weeks. He has little or no time to ride in the week. And does no other exercise really. But now can do that pretty comfortably. Stops to a crawl on hills though :biggrin:

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

Looking forward to the lighter evenings, get the little one to bed, then go out from 8-9 at night.... that's the plan.. and maybe the odd weekend early morning too...

turbopercy

Shouldn't take too long to get to 60mile / 100km fitness. Road bike? The lad who I go out with on longer rides had only done about 200km in his life. Took him on a 40km, then a 70km, then 100km within a few weeks. He has little or no time to ride in the week. And does no other exercise really. But now can do that pretty comfortably. Stops to a crawl on hills though :biggrin:
Sounds like.me it is easier than you think to get your distance up but speed and hills are different

ColinJ

Sounds like.me it is easier than you think to get your distance up but speed and hills are different
Within reason, if you are comfortable on your bike, pace yourself sensibly, and eat and drink plenty while riding, then you should be able to keep going for hours and hours. Even if you were only riding at 8 mph, you would get 60 miles done in under 8 hours.

You do need a good level of fitness to ride quickly or climb lots of hills at a reasonable pace, but distance is much less of a problem.

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

Thanks guys, hopefully when they new bike finally arrives I can get back into it all and feel a bit more confident :-)

Top Bottom