Ribble valley/Yorkshire Dales ride, Sat 22nd June, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let’s hope we do better than Patrick McGoohan and find our way out. :eek:
Well, he did in the end...

I remember watching the last episode and thinking... WTF!!!!!! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I spoke to Carrie earlier this evening... Kevin doesn't want to drive to this year's ride so they are going to catch the train to Settle and will meet us there.

They were talking about riding with us to Skipton and catching the train back from there but I pointed out that they might as well ride with us to Earby, head via West Marton to Gargrave, and catch the train there instead. It's up to them - it would be a very short ride if they don't do the extra!

Anyway, they will be joining us for the middle part of the loop. How long that middle part is will be decided on the day. (I will be surprised if they don't do the extra, given that the weather is probably going to be kind to us.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Change of plan by Littgull ... he will be catching the train to Clitheroe. @colly - if you still aim to come along, you will be joined by Brian at Todmorden station. I still intend to cycle to Clitheroe.

I just noticed a small mistake on my original route, but one that would only affect Brian and me... I hadn't noticed that the route back to Clitheroe station went the wrong way down a 1-way street, so I have corrected that and attached the corrected GPX file to the first post of the thread.

LAST REMINDER - forecast looking good, great route ... come and join us!

I'll check the thread last thing tonight and before setting off tomorrow to see if there are any more posts.

See y'all in the morning!

Now that you presumably know some train times, what time will you be leaving Clitheroe, Colin? I'm still aiming to loiter in Rathmell, on the bench outside the reading room, so an estimate of how long you'll take to get there would be good too. I was previously imagining that you'd be there in the region of 1115? And do you know what time Carrie and Kevin get in to Settle station?

Have popped in that church at rathmell on a ride. Have an idea that it was nice or interesting in some way but can't for the life of me remember why.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Now that you presumably know some train times, what time will you be leaving Clitheroe, Colin? I'm still aiming to loiter in Rathmell, on the bench outside the reading room, so an estimate of how long you'll take to get there would be good too. I was previously imagining that you'd be there in the region of 1115? And do you know what time Carrie and Kevin get in to Settle station?
The train should get into Clitheroe just before 10:00 so if it is on time, we'll leave at 10:00. We intend to go via Paythorne Moor, which will slow us down a bit, so I think the earliest we would get to Rathmell would be 11:15 and it could be nearer 11:30. Aim to get there, say, 11:20-11:25 to minimise your loitering? If there is any significant delay (due to trains, punctures, llama attacks, whatever ...) I'll text an update to you.

C/K can get into Settle at 10:21 or 11:49. I told Carrie that it should be the 10:21 if they want to look around Settle and have coffee etc., otherwise we will meet them off the train and go!

Have popped in that church at rathmell on a ride. Have an idea that it was nice or interesting in some way but can't for the life of me remember why.
You sell it well! :laugh:

As usual, I will just let the scenery wash over me without stopping to study anything in particular.

This is all most civilised at my end then. Rathmell's only about 45-50 minutes so I can leave at 1030 :-) I'll check for messages before I leave and would appreciate a 'leaving Clitheroe now' text, but I won't be bringing the phone, so if you don't turn up I'll just assume that you've all become the latest victims of the Wigglesworth llama flock.

If you speak to C/K again before the morning and they're arriving on the 1021 then recommend 3 Peaks Cycles on the market square to them as a good place to wait. The new (ish) cafe there is good and there is lockable bike parking and tables outside.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Update from C/K ... They have decided not to be such wimps, so they are now setting off from Bingley on their bikes with a view to getting to Ye Olde Naked Man*** in time for coffee and cake before we get there.

This is all most civilised at my end then. Rathmell's only about 45-50 minutes so I can leave at 1030 :-) I'll check for messages before I leave and would appreciate a 'leaving Clitheroe now' text, but I won't be bringing the phone, so if you don't turn up I'll just assume that you've all become the latest victims of the Wigglesworth llama flock.
I would probably forget, so I have set an alarm to remind me at the station! I assume that your number is still ***** *** 745?

(*** For those of you who don't know Settle, it is a cafe, not a naturist pensioner handing out snacks! :laugh:)

Correct re number. Don't worry if you forget. I'll set off anyway.

EDIT: Bingley! That's a solid 50km from Settle by a relatively direct route that isn't actually the A65 and A629. Quite a bump-up in non-wimpishness there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Correct re number. Don't worry if you forget. I'll set off anyway.
The phone alarm is set to go off just after the train is due in, by which time I should know what is going on so I'll text you either to say that we are setting off, or to report any delay!

EDIT: Bingley! That's a solid 50km from Settle by a relatively direct route that isn't actually the A65 and A629. Quite a bump-up in non-wimpishness there.
They are going via Airton, but I don't know how they are getting there. You are right that if they don't do those horrid valley A-roads then the alternatives are probably pretty lumpy!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Excellent! :okay:

So, that's... 1 from Todmorden, 3 from Clitheroe, 4 from Rathmell, 6 from Settle and then the number start to drop down again from Appletreewick.

I'm going to watch an hour or so of TV and then try to get an earlier night than I usually do before forum rides. (6 hours sleep rather than 4!)

Top Bottom