Richie Benaud 84 out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not much to be added. As a cricket fan Richie added so much to my enjoyment of the game. I believe he only commentated on free to air channels and never chased the corporate dollar.

He will be missed.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Fabulous gentlemen, scholar & commentator...

A world class authority on the game & IMO, out of the 6 or 7 sports commentators I can think of as outstanding in their field, he was in the top 3.

Cyclist33

Yup, and you would be the young whippersnapper spending all night on the fruit machine drinking fizzy pish and trying to persuade the landlord to get a big telly and Sky sports.

Perhaps... I certainly wouldn't be perched bluffly attempting to show the world I had a conscience and a knowledge of current sporting affairs, as I don't feel the need to prove my humanity.

Cheddar George

oober member
Perhaps... I certainly wouldn't be perched bluffly attempting to show the world I had a conscience and a knowledge of current sporting affairs, as I don't feel the need to prove my humanity.

But that's what they built pubs for, to talk about sport and how good the old days were. Sometimes the two combine which is enough to keep us nursing half a pint until closing time. :smile:

Cyclist33

But that's what they built pubs for, to talk about sport and how good the old days were. Sometimes the two combine which is enough to keep us nursing half a pint until closing time. :smile:

I'm pretty sure that's not what they built t' interwebs for, though.

His spirit lives on - howzat!

1388851200000.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Off topic, but Phil Edmonds once said about the average first class cricket dressing room: "In the land of the CSE, the O level is king."

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are very, very few commentators who have said things I remember for more than a minute.

Benaud is one of them.

A batsman walloped one of the Aussie bowlers for six using a stroke that won't appear in any coaching manual.

Benaud paused for a second or two, then with no emphasis said: "Whacko."

Dry, under stated, perfect timing - just brilliant.
I can just imagine that. Perfect. As Mad Doug says, along with Bill McLaren, just in a class of his own. Woven through my growing up. Nothing's been the same since he & McLaren stopped commentating. Or I suspect ever will be. RIP.

Top Bottom