Richmond Park 3 laps sticky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
you're better off without. Watching the dreadful London Dynamo turn a lovely park in to a bike race/admire my lycra fest/shout at others to get out of their way/Intimidate regular park goers and other cyclists is mortifying. If these people had anything about them they'd be blasting up and down the A30

Just added some..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just added some..
Yup, RP would be a much nicer place without those boring rude gits. So many great roads within easy reach of the smoke and they just do laps.....just had a look at their website. Four laps, every week. Dull, dull, dull. Their other group rides are more like it, but they don't exactly push themselves RE mileage, only 50-60 milers....

you're better off without. Watching the dreadful London Dynamo turn a lovely park in to a bike race/admire my lycra fest is mortifying. If these people had anything about them they'd be blasting up and down the A30

Although it was amusing last year to watch about 20 of them, with their tongues hanging out, closely following their one female club member who was out at the front. Not amusing from her point of view of course.

Darkhorse

Regular
Lol... On Saturday I had to go over to Barnes and went through the Park. There were a couple of guys on racers heading in the same direction, 'full lycra jacket' etc... When they got to the tiny little hill (bridge) that crosses the railway line just outside Barnes they were both out the saddle, and slowed to a snails pace. And I was sitting there on my old 30lb 2.0 tyred mountain bike wondering weather it was polite to overtake them? The Park attracts 'that kind of person', and the pretend mountain bikers over there can be spectacular in their stupidity! But I consider it an amusing form of entertainment these days...

gbs

Guru
Lol... On Saturday I had to go over to Barnes and went through the Park. There were a couple of guys on racers heading in the same direction, 'full lycra jacket' etc... When they got to the tiny little hill (bridge) that crosses the railway line just outside Barnes they were both out the saddle, and slowed to a snails pace. And I was sitting there on my old 30lb 2.0 tyred mountain bike wondering weather it was polite to overtake them? The Park attracts 'that kind of person', and the pretend mountain bikers over there can be spectacular in their stupidity! But I consider it an amusing form of entertainment these days...

I think you mean the bridge on Queens Drive aka Marc Bohan Bridge. I expect to reach the crest at 30kph on that "hill". Perhaps they were athletes not yet warmed up for the challenge of RP or on high geared fixed.

Darkhorse

Regular
I think you mean the bridge on Queens Drive aka Marc Bohan Bridge. I expect to reach the crest at 30kph on that "hill". Perhaps they were athletes not yet warmed up for the challenge of RP or on high geared fixed.

No, the beginning of Rocks Lane, Barnes common, heading North. And they had just come from the park, so I think they had already done all the hard work?

Darkhorse

Regular
perhaps they did a tour des cafes (there are 3 possibilities within the park) and overindulged!

Ah, I’m only aware of two, and an Ice Cream van? Does that count as three?

If you want to know what really goes on in Richmond Park, take a seat and watch the cars pulling in at Pembroke Lodge, or Roehampton car park. Won’t take long before you see the roof racks with the all the Racers on the top! Or maybe you’ll notice the mountain bikers who all have front suspension, but curiously appear to be using slick tyres? I think it’s known as ‘Poser Paradise’ among club cyclists?

I know they look silly and are intimidating, but I do just WISH I could ride that fast....they make me look like a snail #dynamo

gbs

Guru
[QUOTE 1732350, member: 1314"]I've never done that steep hill more than just the once if I pop down. I'll do it once then it's u-turns.[/quote]

It is not necessary - the quicker, safer route is a/c - left hand turns all the way.

thefollen

Veteran
Tried this for the first time yesterday (anitclockwise)! So close to the hour- Strava says I'm somewhere between 1hr 01m 50s and 1hr 02m. No drafting of course. Have done sub 20s before but only as singles. Had a rolling start following the 6.5(ish) mile 'warmup' from my house and cycled straight back afterwards. A little trafficky and windy in places which dulled momentum slightly, but I'll take it!

Not a club rider or anything, just a chap who enjoys cycling.

Happy with the first attempt, gunning for the hour now!

http://www.strava.com/activities/77615436

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have never managed to do the full 3 consecutive laps in one direction... always get bored and start cutting through a different way or go in the other direction.

Well done on getting close to the hour though. Takes some doing, I can imagine!

goody

Veteran
Lol...There were a couple of guys on racers heading in the same direction, 'full lycra jacket' etc... When they got to the tiny little hill (bridge) that crosses the railway line just outside Barnes they were both out the saddle, and slowed to a snails pace. And I was sitting there on my old 30lb 2.0 tyred mountain bike wondering weather it was polite to overtake them?

Maybe they were near the end of a 200miler.

musa

Über Member
richmond is boring, tell this buggers to go titsy hill... messed me up on the return leg yesterday

Top Bottom