Richmond park at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Im hoping someone local to the area can help me please. For some strange reason ive got this idea in my head of doing a couple of laps one evening but its quite a long drive from Reading so I want to make sure its feasible before I make plans.

1. Is the park closed to cars in the evening?
2. Can I get into the park after hours without having to climb any gates?
3. Do many other cyclists use the park in the evening?
4. Is there anywhere close to the entrance where I can leave the car?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm, just go ride your bike near home ?

PK99

Legendary Member
Im hoping someone local to the area can help me please. For some strange reason ive got this idea in my head of doing a couple of laps one evening but its quite a long drive from Reading so I want to make sure its feasible before I make plans.

1. Is the park closed to cars in the evening?
2. Can I get into the park after hours without having to climb any gates?
3. Do many other cyclists use the park in the evening?
4. Is there anywhere close to the entrance where I can leave the car?

Yes
Yes - pedestrian gates are open except in the culling season
Some
yes - free street parking near all the gates in the evening

The off road track is better at night than the road - dear often lie in the road as the tarmac is warmer! - or so i a am told, iv;e only ever done the off road trail

OP
OP
Paul.G.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Yes
Yes - pedestrian gates are open except in the culling season
Some
yes - free street parking near all the gates in the evening

The off road track is better at night than the road - dear often lie in the road as the tarmac is warmer! - or so i a am told, iv;e only ever done the off road trail
Thank you PK99, I will probably take the cross bike so could switch to the off road trails if needed.

PK99

Legendary Member
Thank you PK99, I will probably take the cross bike so could switch to the off road trails if needed.

btw it is VERY dark in there and there are deer roaming free, You DO need good lights.

After dark best to treat it as a fun ride not a speed test!

Culling season is about 6 weeks from beginning of November and again from beginning of February. Even then, the park is open until 8pm. Don't dawdle - I've been locked in once, and had to wait in the cold for about 1/2 hour for them to let me out. Should be over now, but I don't know for sure. Definitely do no climb in if the gates are locked. You could get shot.

I think this would be a good place to park, and round near ham gate would also be good, but I am sure you could find a park at any gate.

It's not too busy at this time of the year, and you need to expect deer on and near the road. Most cyclists are well lit and so are the runners.

It's a lovely place to ride, but the best time is before it opens on a summer morning.

OP
OP
Paul.G.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Culling season is about 6 weeks from beginning of November and again from beginning of February. Even then, the park is open until 8pm. Don't dawdle - I've been locked in once, and had to wait in the cold for about 1/2 hour for them to let me out. Should be over now, but I don't know for sure. Definitely do no climb in if the gates are locked. You could get shot.

I think this would be a good place to park, and round near ham gate would also be good, but I am sure you could find a park at any gate.

It's not too busy at this time of the year, and you need to expect deer on and near the road. Most cyclists are well lit and so are the runners.

It's a lovely place to ride, but the best time is before it opens on a summer morning.
Thanks for the link jefmcg, is that one of the park deer your riding in you avatar PIC? Summer mornings sounds nice but I really enjoy cycling at night and being closed to cars makes it more appealing.

<- Yup, that's in Richmond Park.

The thing about summer mornings is it doesn't open to cars until 7, but it's light around 4 so you get that car free thing without having to worry about a deer coming out of nowhere.

Top Bottom