Richmond Park closing times?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MKat

Regular
I've recently started cycling through Richmond Park in the morning but one evening last week got to the Roehampton gates about 7pm to find them locked. I had no idea the park closed at dusk, so more fool me for not checking first. However, while stood there pondering, another cyclist came along, opened a small side gate, entered the park and rode off into the darkness. I didn't want to run the risk of following the other cyclist into the park to find all the gates locked shut at the other end, so turned round and went the long wrong way round.

I'm curious now though - is the park really closed after dusk, or only to certain groups of users (i.e. is there always pedestrian access and will I get shot by a park ranger if I'm on two wheels after dusk)?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dusk 7pm, it's dark, propper dark then.

Think you are OK, just watch out for were wolves !

Mallory

Cyclists and peds can always use the park. The cycle gates are alway open. The only time they're locked is when they are shooting bambi's mother

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mallory's right. The pedestrian/bike gates are only locked overnight from 8pm when they cull the deer in (I think) November and December. The place is great fun to ride around in the dark but watch out for the deer.....and the kamikaze badger...:hyper:

Just to clarify - I think it's only the three main gates which are accessible, isn't it? I don't think Ham, Sheen & Robin Hood are left unlocked, though I've never even thought to check. :blush:

Cool. That's good to know.

CoG, when I said the three main gates, I meant Roehampton, Richmond and Kingston. I usually enter Roehampton and leave by Kingston when I visit of an evening.

OP
OP
MKat

MKat

Regular
This is all really helpful - thanks! :smile:

As above, it's open to pedestrians and cyclists 24 hours/day. It closes at night for 4-6 weeks in November and February; check the signs on the gates for details.

And watch out: the deer come to get the tasty morsels at the roadside when the cars are gone.

Looking into this, there are four gates I wasn't even aware of! :ohmy:

Note on this map that the permitted cycling routes do not include any of the road from Roehampton Gate to Kingston Gate, nor the road from Robin Hood Gate to Spankers Wood, nor Ham Cross to Richmond Gate!
http://www.royalparks.org.uk/__documents/park_maps/richmondpark_english_map.pdf

Oddly enough, my most common route across (Roehampton to Sheen Cross, then over Spankers to Ham Cross, and out Kingston Gate, is an approved route.

No idea what's going on with that map. There are no signposted restrictions, though that map is posted in the Park.

Closing times for 2013 here, btw:
http://www.royalparks.org.uk/__documents/richmond-park/richmondpark_gatetimes.pdf

Further information from the same site:
There are 2 culls in Richmond Park – the males in February
and the females in November. In Bushy Park, however, the
male cull takes place in September and the female cull in
November

In 2012, the cull stretched into the first week of December. I expect the signs alerting us to the next cull will be going up shortly. So you might be able to go through in the dark tonight, but perhaps not a month from now.

It's fine, just make sure you get some proper front lights. The deer are quite active at night and are less afraid to cross the road with no cars.

Also you get the occasional ninjas who you don't want to be crashing into the back of.

Top Bottom