Richmond Park death, cyclist fell off on downhill bend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...rash-broomfield-hill-man-aged-40-9690330.html
Very sad, male cyclist dies whilst out riding. Seems he slid on gravel and hit his head.
Anyone know why there is so much gravel in Richmond Park? Are the roads top coated in gravel?

the roads are top dressed periodically, but at the moment there is likely to be gravel washed onto the roads by the heavy rain,

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's terrible. I came down that hill on Saturday and it seemed no different from usual. The tarmac is strangely rippled so your bike tends to judder quite alarmingly. A lot of people ride down it at well over 30 mph.

PK99

Legendary Member
That's terrible. I came down that hill on Saturday and it seemed no different from usual. The tarmac is strangely rippled so your bike tends to judder quite alarmingly. A lot of people ride down it at well over 30 mph.

..... freewheeling at 30mph! its a fast hill. 10% and twisty

NB from reports the guy was doing around 15mph

dark hill.JPG

Garethgas

Very sad indeed.
The report says he was travelling at high speed but then goes on to say it was about 15mph

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sad, but it can happen.
Unfortunately his Safety helmet didn't save him. If he hadn't been wearing one, much play would have been made of the fact.

jarlrmai

Veteran
15mph? I know odd stuff can happen when you fall awkwardly but that seems awfully low speed for a fatal crash

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
15mph? I know odd stuff can happen when you fall awkwardly but that seems awfully low speed for a fatal crash
That's exactly what I thought when I read the 15 mph figure and it's why I mentioned that 30 mph isn't unusual going down there. I was never suggesting that he was going faster than his reported speed. You can just get unlucky. People die tripping on the pavement and banging their heads.

Very, very sad, and a bit close to home.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Seems odd for that hill but bikes have brakes .
The first bend down hill always seems dodgy to me and I guess that's where it happened ?
I think the rain washes the fine sand out of the car park at the top of the hill and as the first corner is a bit of a flat it gets dumped there .
I think I will go clockwise and climb it from now on .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Was in the park today and the police have a sign out saying fatal collision by the first bend .

Top Bottom