Ride 2 Work - Evans :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ejls2

Hi all,

After eighteen months of camapigning, my employer has signed up for a cycle to work scheme. Unfortunately, they have signed up to the Evans Ride to Work scheme which seem to limit you to buying from Evans own range, though it does let you top up if you want to go above the £1000.

Has anyone on here managed to persuade Evans to buy in something specially? I was looking for either a titanium road bike with rack and guard mounts or an Airnimal but Evans don't seem to do anything like that :smile:

Failing that, can anyone recommend a bike that Evans do stock which would fit the road/audax role? I'm not at all fussed by groupset and finishing kit. It's only the frame, fork and wheels which I'm bothered about as I can swap the rest from other bikes.

Any help much appreciated,

Ed

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I thought that under these schemes, the supplier had to order in any bike you wanted and not just limit you to their range ? Or have we been lucky in that Halfrauds will do that when others won't ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Evans have a pretty good range, as far as I can see - I nearly got one of their Pinnacle bikes last year, and in the Manchester store they were very open to ordering in some Dahons for me to try.

Granted, you've no Planet X or Giant (iirc) but it's better than a poke in the eye, surely?

redjedi

Über Member
Just ask them to order something in without mentioning the Cycle to work scheme.
When you've chosen your bike, pull out your voucher. It shouldn't make any difference, it's the same as cash to them.

walker

As others have said, Evans do Scott, Bianchi, Cannondale. I think they do Specialized to and Not 100% sure if they still do Klein's

OP
OP
E

ejls2

Hi all,

Unfortunately they can limit it to whatever they want to. Halfords are very good but they still sometimes won't get certain brands in stock. I know some Evans stores will order in, but my local ones won't and apparently none of them will order in the brands I was thinking about ;)

Yes they have a very good range but I was looking for something quite specific which they unfortunately don't have a good alternative to.

I also am not too keen on Evans I have not been to impressed with their advice/mechanical competence in the past. I went a while back when looking for my last bike to see what they had and was recommended a 61cm frame. It was such a coincidence that that was the last one they had in stock!!! For reference, I'm just under 6' and ride a 54cm frame. I could barely stand over this thing let alone ride it :biggrin:

I'm very happy that the firm has signed up, I'm just a bit dissapointed that after eighteen months of lobbying they have signed up to the one scheme that no-one wanted them to use!

Cheers,

Ed

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I guess there's always the option of going back until you get the service you want - the people in Manchester's Evans have always been excellent, I've found - very ready to order stuff in, and with a decent level of knowledge.

I guess that's the problem with chains though - some branches will be good, and some not so good.

MERV

Aye at a guess the sales staff are not paid very much.

Bought my Dawes Audax 2006 from the Waterloo store.
34zad74.gif

dogzilla

Hey do you guys know what you can buy WITH the bike?

My employer is not a part of this scheme but my dads is. He is going to be buying a £400 bike with another £100 of accessories leaving a £500 left that he can spend.

I have a frame that I am about to build up - do you think he could swing it to buy a set of wheels/drive set or other parts to go towards my bike?

Maybe he could claim he wants to upgrade the bike he is buying? :wacko:

Top Bottom