Ride off the excess in West Yorks, 28th or 30th Dec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bayerd

Über Member
Who's up for a forum ride on either of the dates above?

ColinJ, I'm particularly looking towards you to help me with this (for route planning etc).

Hebden Bridge as a start/finish, 50ish miles to help burn off the xmas excesses.

Steve H

Large Member
I potentially could come if on the 28th. I'll be away on the 30th though

potsy

Rambler
Possibly could come over for this if I still need a few miles for my target.
I take it would be weather dependant,wouldn't fancy some of those roads if there was the chance of ice :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just spotted this thread. It's a good idea, but ... unfortunately, in terms of my participation, I will be visiting my sisters on those dates!

At this time of year, I wouldn't risk the hillier routes that I normally prefer. There are too many shaded hillside roads that don't get gritted or catch the sun. You could be whizzing down a dry descent, turn a bend and bam - you're all down on black ice!

I would suggest that you stick to the valley roads and ride out to the Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington (phone 01200 429364 for holiday opening times).

If conditions are safe, take the scenic route out of Padiham to the Old Roman Road, drop down into Whalley on the B6246 and ride to Waddington via Mitton and Bashall Town. Here's the route. That's 57 miles in total.

If minor roads are likely to be icy, use this route instead - stay on the A671 to Spring Wood (NB take care on The Devil's Elbow - it has a bad safety record!). Drop down into Whalley on the B6246, turn right onto the old Clitheroe Road, rejoin the A671 to Clitheroe, then take the B6478 to Waddington. That route is slightly shorter - 53.5 miles.

I suggest that you take lights. If you have a decent cafe stop and are not putting the hammer down, you will probably be finishing the ride in darkness.

Have fun if you do it in December! I'll be doing one of those 2 routes some time in January if anybody wants to join me for that?

ColinJ

The future weather forecast looks like it'll be wet and windy, but not icy.
I don't believe forecasts more than 24 hours in advance! We've had miserable days for forum rides which had been forecast as being sunny for 6 successive days in advance, and then the forecast changed for the worst at about midnight, 10 hours before we set off!

The last forum ride I organised was supposed to have been in cold, damp misty conditions all day but we managed to skirt around it for 80% of the time!

cyclechatters-autumn-sunshine-coldwell-activity-centre-cafe.jpg

cyclist-autumn-sunshine-widdop-road.jpg

:sun:

colly

Re member eR
I am a definite maybe.:thumbsup:

I know we have one or two things planned between Christmas and the New Year so checking with my social secretary would be a good idea before I say yes for sure.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SWMBO didn't say "no", which I'm taking as "yes".

Have we got an update on this? The 30th would be better for me since I need to get used to being clipped in before a longer distance ride.

ColinJ

If you do decide to do the Waddington ride - I forgot to mention the new Padiham Greenway option which is a bit more interesting and quieter than staying on the main road. It's a very good quality route for walkers and cyclists where the old rail freight line used to be.

Here's a picture of some of us coming back up it early this year:

padiham-greenway.jpg

When you get to Rosegrove, just after the A646/A679 traffic lights on the descent from Burnley towards Padiham, turn left down Lower Rosegrove Lane (Streetview) (The signs have been changed since that picture was taken and now indicate the cycle route).

Eventually, you'll come down onto the far end of the path you see in the photo above. Follow the path until you come to an exit path taking you right, down the embankment to Park Road below the old railway bridge. It was just being constructed when this this Streetview picture was taken. (You'd be riding from left of picture and coming down the embankment.) Turn right onto Park Road, continue straight on along Station Road, and turn left onto the A671 at the end. After that, take the scenic route (or stay on the A671) as I originally described. Do it in the opposite direction on the return leg. I doubt that the Greenway would be gritted, so avoid it if it is icy.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looks like the op's not posted whether it's a Yes or No. I'm guessing today didn't happen.

I'm OK for Friday - but need to know whether we're meeting up. Otherwise I'll head to Windmill Cafe near Thurnstone (S36 9NY) for a hill run.

Top Bottom