England : Cumbria Ride to the Sun 2019 (Carlisle to Edinburgh 100 miles).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Home (ridetothesun.co.uk)
Here we go again; anyone doing this on Saturday 26th June this year?
I have taken the precaution of buying a cheap advance single ticket with bike space, Glasgow to Carlisle on the Saturday afternoon.
Whether or not I actually use it will depend on a few factors, not least of which will be the weather on the day/night.
If I decide to opt out, rather than waste a bike space on the train, I will post on here a few days in advance to make it available for someone else if required.

bruce1530

Guru
Tempted....

bruce1530

Guru
... and I'm signed up. Managed to get an advance ticket from Ayrshire to Glasgow, then Glasgow-Carlisle (with bike reservation) for £11.80
Bearing in mind that a single from here to Glasgow is normally £7.80, I thought that wasn't a bad deal...

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Got a not completely unexpected e-mail today to let me know, the event for 2021 is CANCELLED again, due to Covid concerns.
@bruce1530 I assume you've had the same e-mail?
I thought things were supposed to be getting back to normal from June 21st..... Anyway, it's cancelled and that is that until 2022.
Anyone want a single rail ticket, Glasgow to Carlisle, going cheap? :laugh:. Actually, I might come up with another plan to use it, weather dependent!

bruce1530

Guru
Well, it's cancelled, but not cancelled. Sort of....

The gist of the message seems to be "The organised bits are formally cancelled, but we're still doing it, in a back-to-basics format. Make your own choice." The chippy still opens late. No piper at the top of the hill, no cyclorave (but bananas and water available). No bacon rolls at the finish, but the brewery people will still be there.

On the RTTS facebook page, there seems to be a fairly equal split between people saying "Ah well, that's understandable", and others saying "We're going ahead, in small groups".

I'm still undecided.... but quite fancy the ride.

The email: http://createsend.com/t/y-CE0B6883004F9F212540EF23F30FEDED

bruce1530

Guru
Sitting on cramond shore, waiting for sunrise

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Last year was great, would be tempted this year, but can’t seem to get a bike reservation on train from Glasgow
Try in person at a rail station to get a bike reservation. We're probably going down en-masse by car, and going back down by train on Sunday to collect the cars. Last time we did it, one of our group had driven up from Yorkshire, so he took two of us back to get the cars.

Top Bottom