Ride With GPS map choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
I wonder if I can ask for some suggestions regarding RWGPS. The are a number of map choices that can be made when planning a route and I just found out that the suggested route can be different depending on which map I have opted to use. Could I ask of those who use RWGPS what map choice they make when looking for a route focused on 'quiet lanes'. I am, an old fashioned type of cyclist not looking for the fastest or most challenging route, but one which provides a more gentle wander whenever possible.

Thanks in advance

Alex321

Veteran
I usually just use the default map. I hadn't realised you might get different routes with the different map types.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
I just found out myself. I had asked the RWGPS help desk about the different maps and was told that not always but occasionally, the algorithms of one map are different from another and might produce different routing.I intend to do more followup on this later today and will post what I'm told.

Cheers

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I flick between them a bit to be honest, depending on whether doing road or off road etc. The OSM outdoor is good for picking up offroad routes and byways etc, the OSM cycle has sustrans routes marked on them (not sure if that is good or bad). plus you can always put the google maps little man onto the route to have a streetview look at the road.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Surprised at that, as the displayed mapping is separate to the data used / needed by the routing algorithms. I can understand having separate routing data / setting for when you want a road or off road route.

Reactions: mjr

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, it was something that I noticed for the first time a couple of days ago. I'd made a copy of a route someone else had compiled as a basis for a tour I'm contemplating, I'd switched from the ESRI Topo map it had been created in, to my prefered OSM cycle and in a couple of places the gravel roads of the original had been re-routed onto the nearby road.

So in answer to the original question, I prefer to use the OSM Cycle map and then I might also change to OSM Outdoor as well, just to give me a little bit more detail. Riding predominately off-road, I find these two maps give me the best oversight and accuracy.

When planning a route, you need to make two choices.
1. Type of map. That is Google map. Terrain, hybrid, OSM cycle etc. There is a drop down menu.
2. There is another drop down menu to select, cycling, driving or walking. Sometimes it is better to use walking as it let you draw the line wherever you like.
This is how I do it.
I open two windows on the computer. I first plot the map on Google map, I can see the street view and how busy the road is etc. I know you can do it on the RWGPS routing as well but I find it more difficult.
Then I draw exactly the same map on RWGPS. It is important that you do not let it decide the route but you map it. It is time consuming I know but I know where I am going.
I then save the file (GPX) and transfer it to my old Garmin which has OSM Garmin street maps. So far I have had no issues.

iandg

Legendary Member
As above. OSM usually, switching between cycling/driving/walking to get the route I want.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I normally use the one called "map" (I think it's just Google Maps) as I find it more readable than the RWGPS default ad you get google maps POIs.
Occasionally I switch to OSM cycle, especially for urban bits or where I have to get across a big junction or roundabout something like that, so see if there are any cycle lanes. I use streetview a lot when doing this.

Occasionally I zoom out and set it to terrain to see the outlines of hills and so on.

I was unaware that routing differed by map. I thought that was just controlled by the routing algorithm selector (Cycling/Driving/Walking) and the avoid highways selector.

I build my routes in short steps and check my routes in detail and make (a lot of) adjustments where necessary. I never rely on the routing algorithms to make up routes for me.

I normally use the one called "map" (I think it's just Google Maps) as I find it more readable than the RWGPS default ad you get google maps POIs.
Occasionally I switch to OSM cycle, especially for urban bits

Me too! (odd that the main crap thing about RWGPS is it's maps ! :P )

An aside:
- I'm pretty sure that "cycling" routing has recently started using a lot more canal paths, bridleways etc. I'm possibly comparing to 5 years ago ish?
(this of course has both pros n cons ... )

Me too! (odd that the main crap thing about RWGPS is it's maps ! :P )

An aside:
- I'm pretty sure that "cycling" routing has recently started using a lot more canal paths, bridleways etc. I'm possibly comparing to 5 years ago ish?
(this of course has both pros n cons ... )

Yes but sometimes those pathways don't exist in real life!
That is why I check it with Google satellite images or street views/ photos to check it out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well I never, you do get distinctly different routes depending on which map you have set. I must investigate further

Top Bottom