England : London RideLondon 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leeann

Regular
As I'm sure you're all aware, there is a new cycling event starting next year called RideLondon 100. Think the marathon, but on wheels. Good luck to everyone in the ballot for this event, if you dont get a place then there is always the option of getting a guaranteed place with Asthma UK. Happy cycling!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Yea but I bet it has the same issues as ALL charity places where they require you to raise a fixed amount. I enter a lot of ballot places every year and raise money for charity if I get a place. However I never take a charity place for the reasons previously stated, I think its wrong to expect or demand a fixed amount. People try their best for charitys and this should be enough. I think its a shame Charity places have hijacked many of the bigger events.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Good luck to everyone in the ballot for this event, if you dont get a place then there is always the option of getting a guaranteed place with Asthma UK. Happy cycling!

Can you explain what you mean mate ? i put in for the ballot for this i also put down the Asthma UK as my chosen charity as my son suffers quite badly from it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The ballot place is randomly selected places which are awarded to randomly selected people. There is no requirement to raise any sponsorship or money for charity if you do not decide to do so... but the place is basically dependent upon your name being pulled from a hat.. There are also guarenteed places which are sold to charitys, these are commonly known as 'golden bond or golden ticket' places... The charitys then offer members of the public this gaurenteed place in exchange for agreeing to raise a fixed amount. The sum you agree to raise is something you are legaly responsible for based on most of the terms (not aware of Asthma uk terms specifically) and this can cause issues... for example on my running forum soneone I know took a golden ticket place for the london marathon and agreed to raise 2k for a well known charity, he then had a motorbike accident and broke his pelvis so could not run, he now has a direct debit coming out of his bank each month until he has settled his contract with the charity.... This is why I will never take a charity place.

Paul_L

Über Member
Why what?

Anyway, from the Ride London web site "The registration will shut the earlier of 4th January 2013 or when 75,000 people have applied for an entry. The successful entrants will be informed in February 2013"

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I have applied for this one also, I applied for the London marathon and didn't get in but looked at gold bond places for major charities and they are expecting you to raise approx £2.5k to £3.5k needless to say I haven't applied for a gold bond place, I to feel they should be happy with whatever the person can raise and not place added pressure on the runner to raise obscene amounts of money

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just entered the ballot. I wouldn't do a ride like this for charity. Apart from the fact I've raised small amounts from charity rides I have done (good for neither me nor the cause) it's just not a challenge to me these days.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I got a guaranteed place for Beating Bowel Cancer. For me I'm using the place as an incentive to lose weight. Started training 3 weeks ago and have lost a stone.

I started at over 22st so raising the £500 will be well worth it if I can get down to my planned 16st. Been riding 70-80 miles a week and feeling much better for it.

For me is is a great option. I can't wait until August and will enjoy riding and getting fit. Also treating myself to a new road bike.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've entered the ballot and hopefully will get selected.

I've never done a guaranteed charity entry, but if I did, I'd treat it as my entry price.

I thought more CC'ers would be entered for this.

Martin

Top Bottom