RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'll be entering the ballot. Every ballot I have entered (including running events) I've been unsuccessful in so my luck must change at some point.

Gambler's fallacy (unfortunately)
The fact that you have been unsuccessful so far doesn't affect how likely you are to be successful in the future.
Or, to put it another way, flipping 4 heads in a row doesn't mean the next flip is more likely to be tails - it's still 50/50

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'll try for a standard place I think. But nothing more. I also don't do sponsorship to have fun, personal choice, a similar guy going back on the riverboat was contemplating the £300 his charity place was going to cost him, I wouldn't pay £345 to ride the event.

They either need more time, or a wider route to up the numbers, especially when they need to consider things like weather and the like. I could imagine irate people if 1000's were timed out because of a blockage like Richmond Park happening for instance and those contingencies have to be in the planning somewhere.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just thinking out loud ...

I do wonder whether London is the right place for the UK's premier mass-participation cycling event. London (and its environs) is just so crowded and - unlike running - cycling is very BIG; the routes need to be long, the participants neet more space. Also the terrain around London is a bit limited.

I think now's the time for Yorkshire to build on the fantastic success of the TdF and launch t'RideYorkshire.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
They could do formation whippets, almost as big a draw.

I think it's a good idea and ought to fly. A big northern event using the existing London one as a spring board. Surprised no one is doing it. I can't see them stopping London though.

sleaver

Veteran
Gambler's fallacy (unfortunately)
The fact that you have been unsuccessful so far doesn't affect how likely you are to be successful in the future.
Or, to put it another way, flipping 4 heads in a row doesn't mean the next flip is more likely to be tails - it's still 50/50
Agreed, but its nice to hold out some hope :smile:

I'll try for a standard place I think. But nothing more. I also don't do sponsorship to have fun, personal choice, a similar guy going back on the riverboat was contemplating the £300 his charity place was going to cost him, I wouldn't pay £345 to ride the event..
Mine is likely to cost me money as well because I based it on what I had raised for an event two years ago, meaning it should have been easy, but after asking more people, I have less money. I think people are getting asked for money more and more these days that it is just becoming harder to raise money as people can't sponsor everyone.

They either need more time, or a wider route to up the numbers, especially when they need to consider things like weather and the like. I could imagine irate people if 1000's were timed out because of a blockage like Richmond Park happening for instance and those contingencies have to be in the planning somewhere.
Is London really the problem though as the Surrey lanes are narrower. Fair enough, I didn't get stuck in Richmond Park but the Surrey lanes were worse for me and I posted in the 2014 thread that if Leigh Hill was as congested as Newlands Corner for me, it would have been hard. I wasn't fast up Newlands but I wasn't the slowest and it has hard avoiding slower people while not taking out faster ones and Leigh Hill is narrower.

i'll register for the ballot, haven't made either of the previous ones. not sure about buying a charity place as it was hard work getting the minimum.

it will also depend on other factors.

whatever, it can't be wetter than this year.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I saw at least one rider with no helmet yesterday...he had a lot of dreadlocks though!!
If it's the same one I saw (regularly) he wasn't registered - I saw him trying to weasel his way into the start and being firmly sent away. He was also a complete liability - considerably less road sense than most of the charity riders on inappropriate bikes.

srw

How do you know people dropped out because of the rain? Prudential were always expecting several thousand to have to withdraw...I expect the 24,000 figure was set on that assumption, that there wouldn't be that many

How many people did register and ride?
On the other thread, someone's quoted 23,000 picking up their numbers and 20,000 starting.

PK99

Legendary Member
whatever, it can't be wetter than this year.

Be careful what you wish for...

I stopped for a pre Newlands Gel and the turn onto the main road at West Horsley and chatted to a few spectators - one asked "What would you prefer 30C or this?"

My instant response was "This!"

we did a Recce ride in 30C a few weeks ago, from Richmond Park to Wimbledon, leaving the park at around 8am, so replicating the timings of the ride proper. That was a REALLY tough ride - i doubt either of us would have coped with the full 100. Average temp was 77F max over 90F - and bearing in mind that the weakest riders get the hottest part of the day, i could foresee real medical problems in those temps.

srw

that is a non starter - closing the roads for two days!!!!
It was only the sportive that actually closed the roads properly - the pro race was done using rolling closures. Running two crits and two road races would illustrate the diversity of the sport very nicely - and please make the women's race the same length as the men's!

Top Bottom