RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Pre-ride logistics were ok, and my fears of standing for 90 mins in the rain were unfounded as it started to rain about 30 secs after we started at 0744. Luckily I had my light but effective rain jacket. Utterly drenched fairly soon, but at least warm and damp. Really not as wet air could have been, but certainly at least 1000 punctures at a guess.

Flat down the A12 and into the city though tunnels, and along the Embankment into Trafalgar Sq, Pall Mall and Piccadilly and out west to Chiswick and Surrey. Really fantastic atmosphere and pockets of great support for the many charity riders.

Through Richmond Park and then out into Surrey hills. Only two significant climbs: Leith Hill (loads of people walking) and Box Hill (beautiful) but perfectly do-able for an average to poor climber like me.

The wind was very strong and gusty, but eventually we got some tailwind as we headed back into town and I picked up speed in a huge peleton of 200+ riders. Finish was down the Mall and a great atmosphere. I was really pleased to be finishing strong and fast.

What was lovely was seeing the wide range of different cyclists showing friends and family that getting on a bike and cycling a long way is a normal and healthy way to spend a Sunday. And a lot of women, which again is good for the sport, as many of the male riders (OK, a small percentage) were cycling like utter bell ends. Screaming ON YOUR RIGHT does not allow you to shoulder barge another rider on a road crammed with cyclists.

And it really felt like a pro race. Great support in Dorking, Richmond and Kingston with loads of supporters.

Final official time 6:44, and 6:34 on my Garmin which pauses at stops.

This post reflected my day to a tee, although the riders wanting to pass on the right were very polite with me and well behaved. Both Leith and Box hills were clear, managed to get away without any punctures or mechanical failures. Horrid conditions but strangely enjoyable.

Well done to all.

steverob

Guru
I'll admit I also didn't see anywhere near as much "bad" riding as I expected from my previous RL attempt and from people's recollections of other years. I was pleasantly surprised with how carefully people were taking the descents - I'm currently not the world's fastest descender even in the dry, so to see very few other people flying past me, and even those who did overtake gave me a good wide berth and then didn't exactly disappear off into the distance either, which made me feel quite relieved - I clearly wasn't the only one taking it easy!

Heard a few "on your right"s, but even these seemed to be polite requests and not just the usual "I'll shout this as I barge through to absolve myself" cases we usually hear about. Only once did I hear a rider yell at some others, and on that occasion he was probably in the right, just he could have got the same result with a politer way of expressing it. (There were a bunch of people walking up Newlands Corner, but they were doing it side by side instead of single file, meaning that they were essentially taking up most of one of the lanes to themselves, preventing others from getting past them)

Don't want to be too morbid, but does anyone know where the guy had his heart attack? I think I went through Leith Hill at about that time, but didn't see anyone getting any attention. There was someone down on the steep little climb you do just before you take the left turn into Leith itself, but that looked more like an crash/accident as I passed it, rather than a medical situation.

Saw two others in the foil blankets - one of them on the flat section post Box Hill (before you reach the hairpin back down to Leatherhead) who did look in a bad way. The one accident I saw happen was just 100 yards or so in front of me (though in opposite lane) between Oxshott and Esher where a guy's bike just seemed to flip over with no other riders nearby. I can only assume it was a manhole cover or something, but he certainly made a crash when he hit the deck.

Buck

Guru
Don't want to be too morbid, but does anyone know where the guy had his heart attack? I think I went through Leith Hill at about that time, but didn't see anyone getting any attention. There was someone down on the steep little climb you do just before you take the left turn into Leith itself, but that looked more like an crash/accident as I passed it, rather than a medical situation.

It was on the wooded lane that was a gradual incline before you approached Leith Hill climb itself. (Sorry I don t know the area well enough to describe it further). There was a red Marshall’s car there when I passed.

Top Bottom