RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Actually according to my rather rudimentary mapping, the finish line being slightly forward of previous years and the route taking you up Horse Guards Road rather than Whitehall, only reduced the total distance by about 250 metres.

The main cause of mileage loss is still the tunnels - if when your device loses the GPS satellites it assumes you have stopped riding and just magically teleported to the other side (like my current Edge 520), then you can lose up to about 1.25 miles across all the tunnelled sections. However if it assumes you carried on riding but went in a straight line until it sees the satellites again (like my old Edge 500), then you only lose just over half a mile, most of which comes from the Limehouse Link tunnel, as that has the most bends.

Actually according to my rather rudimentary mapping, the finish line being slightly forward of previous years and the route taking you up Horse Guards Road rather than Whitehall, only reduced the total distance by about 250 metres.

The main cause of mileage loss is still the tunnels - if when your device loses the GPS satellites it assumes you have stopped riding and just magically teleported to the other side (like my current Edge 520), then you can lose up to about 1.25 miles across all the tunnelled sections. However if it assumes you carried on riding but went in a straight line until it sees the satellites again (like my old Edge 500), then you only lose just over half a mile, most of which comes from the Limehouse Link tunnel, as that has the most bends.
On that basis can't you just click on the Distance/Correct Distance on the Strava ride page .I believe this calculates distance based on the actual mapping not from the computer device. Maybe?

dickyknees

Guru
Finally got my medal by 1st class post this morning! Must have cost Ride London quite a lot to post out including packaging and a little drawstring bag to hold it.

ED9F815C-E041-432E-B4C2-C42B3CD53AF0.jpeg

It seems I came in 3034th, from nearly 25000 100 mile route riders. I’d have preferred to have come in 4 places earlier, which wasn’t a big ask, but hey ho:laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah but what's their income the event, about £2 million?
Which is for organising the road closures, stewards etc etc. I expect the medal budget is a small outlay in comparison

There'll be significant sponsorship subsidising the entry fees obviously

Norry1

Legendary Member
It seems I came in 3034th, from nearly 25000 100 mile route riders. I’d have preferred to have come in 4 places earlier, which wasn’t a big ask, but hey ho:laugh:

How did you get that ranking?

Fake, isn't it? Legit numbers mixed with fiction, according to another site.
There’s a lot of very obvious cheating in there. If you look up the dodgy looking riders / times, you’ll see some hilarious stuff. For example,

EEF68DC8-B9DE-44EE-B459-F15EC5B0EAF5.jpeg

44211579-EBF0-4BC5-B18D-969356F16701.jpeg

:laugh:

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There’s a lot of very obvious cheating in there. If you look up the dodgy looking riders / times, you’ll see some hilarious stuff. For example,

View attachment 479497

View attachment 479499

:laugh:
:rolleyes:

That's not cheating, that's someone who has taken the opportunity at Hampton Court to cut short and head for home rather than do the full route. If you cross reference the main results site you'll find they're credited with 46 miles.

How do I know? Because that's what we did a couple of years ago.

This isn't a race. "Cheating" isn't a thing.

steverob

Guru
Although if they had taken the shortcut at Hampton Court, they should have tripped the timer at the 25 mile marker as well (I was in the 46 this year and mine shows up with a split time there).

Having said that, the first year I did the 100, I somehow managed to not get registered at three of the timing points on course - one was understandable because Leith Hill was closed by the time I got there, but the other two I did go through yet the system never "saw" me.

Top Bottom