Riders revenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took the cycle path the day after, what a pain, loads of junctions to navigate, bumpy, broken surface outside exeter, only added 5mins to my time though.

I think the key to my response to his actions was how quickly I caught up with him afterwards. If it had taken me another minute I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I am not normally like this, the beast in me has obviously awakened.......

It's called road rage.:whistle:

Heck I've even witnessed 2 cars trying to run each other off the road because neither one of them would give way when the road narrowed from 2 lanes to 1 - that was probably the last time I kicked off at a motorist - yes - I caught up with one of those drivers and gave him what for.
Lol I've seen that before in slow moving traffic. I know it's good etiquette for vehicles to merge like a zip into one lane but when one driver doesn't do that it's better to drop back and merge behind them instead of sit in the path of oncoming traffic for half a mile.

I recall a story (on here) where someone thought he'd be clever and kick the driver's wing mirror for perceived bad driving, the driver and his mates chased him down and kicked him black and blue.

He came onto this forum and told us about it. Perhaps getting cocky with someone in a 2 -tonne car is not as clever as we applaud.

A 2 tonne car is a 2 tonne car (a v.heavy one).

But the person inside can be 40kg or 100kg - so a "2 tonne car" is irrelevant.

I think I fall smack bang in the middle of my own dilemma. I don't think breaking someone's keys is the right way to respond to the OP's situation.

Yet breaking the keys was not the intention.

So he didn't respond by breaking the keys.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Was that the big roundabout at the south end of Exeter where they've put that stupid cycle path on the pavement on the left? Bridge Road? I've had many a conflict with drivers there, particularly in the year after they put the cyclepath in. It was horrendous.

I dunno. Maybe the guy didn't realise you were going for the keys and thought you were after him. Remember that it has been shown (probably by the Institute for Studies) that drivers view their car as their personal space, so sticking your hand in through the window is roughly equivalent to shoving your hand down someone's shirt (or his trousers). Even if you don't mean to damamge anything while it's in there, it's still going to come as a massive shock and people's reactions are unpredictable in those circumstances. While I understand exactly what got you so mad -- been there myself, frequently -- it's not something I would ever suggest for the simple reason that someone that shocked can easily behave very agressively and you could be seriously hurt.

Sam

Well done for showing such restraint – I’d have taken the keys, then covered the car in petrol and set fire to it, after locking the little prick in there…lol

Seriously though, since when has disarming someone who has attacked you with an offensive weapon become an offence? Did I miss a meeting or something…?

tincaman stuck up for himself, well done!

Some posts state that the driver will now hate cyclists even more – so what? – you never know, he might have learnt his lesson and Exeter now has one anti cyclist twat who might think twice before buzzing us – the world’s a better place IMO.

BSRU

A Human Being
Is there not some requirement to prevent someone from breaking the law, hence taking the keys could have been the legal thing to do to prevent the driver using his car as a weapon again. Maybe similar to this, with regards to mobiles: In one of bored moments recently I read the amendment which outlawed the use of hand held mobiles in cars, it states that you should prevent anyone attempting to use their mobile while driving.
No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using - (a) a hand-held mobile telephone

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003

Top Bottom