Riders revenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Waste of time, the Police are not interested, unless a collision occurs, especially when it is basically one persons word against another.

Not true.

I had a road rage incident which involved a taxi driver trying to run me off the road in retaliation for being so audacious as to move into the lane I needed to be in for a particular turning.

Police took a statement from me the following day, then went and had a word with the driver that afternoon. And they would have taken it further had I asked them to.

Jezston

Über Member
Aha - the Dick Cheney School of Diplomacy approach ...

I dunno, I got picked on at school for the second and most of the third year by a popular kid who saw me as a soft target. After he threw an apple at my head I snapped and went at him like a proper enraged 13 year old - i.e. rather pathetically. He was too freaked out to fight back, and suddenly I was a hero and his mates weren't his mates any more.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Waste of time, the Police are not interested, unless a collision occurs, especially when it is basically one persons word against another.

It depends on the force and who you deal with - I've had more joy with neighbourhood police teams and traffic cops. You can't rely on the first port of call, usually a desk sergeant. I once escalated a complaint to the Met Commissioner, Sir John Stephens. It all depends how far you're prepared to go and how much time you have.

If you're expecting him to be frogmarched to the station "yes", you're going to be disappointed, but there will a least be a record of the complaint - assuming the police log it and don't lose it (at the very least)

Roadsafe is very good in this repsect.

BSRU

A Human Being
It depends on the force and who you deal with - I've had more joy with neighbourhood police teams and traffic cops. You can't rely on the first port of call, usually a desk sergeant. I once escalated a complaint to the Met Commissioner, Sir John Stephens. It all depends how far you're prepared to go and how much time you have.

If you're expecting him to be frogmarched to the station "yes", you're going to be disappointed, but there will a least be a record of the complaint - assuming the police log it and don't lose it (at the very least)

Roadsafe is very good in this repsect.

My dealings were with the head of the local traffic unit, although he sympathised he indicated they did not have time for such "minor" traffic offences.

I imagine Police forces have different priorities and more importantly different budgets/resources hence they deal with things differently.

The only crimes I can report on line are burglary and ironically car crime.

perplexed

Guru
The thing that occurs to me, is regardless of what the driver now thinks of cyclists (and lets face it, his opinion doesn't seem to have been that high to start with), he has learned one valuable lesson. (Assuming he is half bright.)

If abuse of a cyclist occurs, he now knows will probably be caught at the next set of lights, and the outcome could be unpredictable...

Aha - the Dick Cheney School of Diplomacy approach ...

Yea.

Because talking it over, and slaps on the wirst fixes EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

I actually think that view point (whether you are taking it or not) is pure ignorance.

And we're not exactly talking about foreign policy here.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If abuse of a cyclist occurs, he now knows will probably be caught at the next set of lights, and the outcome could be unpredictable...

No, an unpredictable outcome is two people of roughly equal weight & height squaring off.

A Person on a Bike vs. a Person in a Car has a predictable outcome.

No, an unpredictable outcome is two people of roughly equal weight & height squaring off.

A Person on a Bike vs. a Person in a Car has a predictable outcome.

No it doesn't.

What is unpredictable is the person in the car doesn't know what the person on the bike will do or attempt - alas, unpredictable.

And having it occur to him(motorist) will(might) consider this more often.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
No it doesn't.

What is unpredictable is the person in the car doesn't know what the person on the bike will do or attempt - alas, unpredictable.

And having it occur to him(motorist) will(might) consider this more often.

It may well teach him to be unbuckled and door opening on the approach of the said cyclist being better prepared.

IMO Even if he knew it was wrong the embarrasment factor alone makes the situation unpredictable, I certainly know one person whose reaction would have been very aggressive being approached by a cyclist at their window telling them how crap they were driving. You really do not know who is sitting inside so unless you are prepared to go the whole nine yards why bother?

The thing that occurs to me, is regardless of what the driver now thinks of cyclists (and lets face it, his opinion doesn't seem to have been that high to start with), he has learned one valuable lesson. (Assuming he is half bright.)

Thats the thing the muppet didn't seem that bright, which same person would threaten somebody with a 2 ton weight. I doubt he learnt any lesson and has only had their hatred of cyclists confirmed and who knows at the next set of lights he may use his 2 ton weight again against a innocent cyclist in retaliation or mis interpret a slight move by the cyclist as a snatch for his key and over react.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Oh well.

If you're convinced you stand a chance winding up someone who's already proven that they don't give a shite about your safety, have at it, I suppose.

perplexed

Guru
I'm not condoning or condeming the OP. I wasn't there, and therefore cannot make a judgement.

All I'm saying is that the driver certainly didn't expect to happen, what did happen. I'm not suggesting at all that cyclists who are aggrieved should take some sort of physical action, on the whole, it's a bad idea.

But equally, as a by-product of the whole event, he is now aware of what could happen. That is just a bald statment of what I would imagine is running through his mind. We already know he doesn't think much of cyclists.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not going to comment other than change your route and clothing. South Devon is no Inner London, and if it's anything like South Manchester, you'll be an easy target to spot at some later point, and given the 'damage' caused, the driver may just wish to teach you another lesson....some weeks later.

There is a poster on here that remonstrated with a car full of 'lads', ended up removing the wing mirror, only to be jumped upon later. Result was a detatched retina and lying on his front face down for 'some time'....

By all means shout back, but don't take it further if clearly they are a loon. Even a simple 'whatch where you are going' can end up with you being sworn at and threttened with violence - been there. Do the smart thing and report them next time.

Top Bottom