Riders revenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
full marks tincan man, never bend in submision to wrongdoing threats or suchlike evil triumghs when good men do nothing, to do nothing is cowardice, a popular hobby today it seems

Hmm.

90Kg of rider & bike vs. 500kg of car.

I'd be wary of escalating things, personally.

Jezston

Über Member
Hopefully while he was stuck in the middle of the road with cars going past honking their horns and hurling abuse at him as they passed he might realise how shitty that is that people do that to cyclists.

Hopefully the repair guys gave him a good piss taking when they turned up and he told them what happened.

If he did go to the police (unlikely), hopefully the police told him off for what he did and that he probably deserved it (not unlikely), and there's no way they could find the cyclist anyway let alone get a conviction out of it.

Hopefully he'll think twice about being a total douchebag.

F*ck it. I think he did the right thing. I'd do it myself.

I could still go to the Police and lie on his half - he isn't going to go "I almost hit a cyclist and he was unhappy at that... he must be crazy!"

Does the driver now know that cyclists can ride wherever in the road just because some cyclist broke his car key?

NO, he hasn't learned anything. He only got validation of his attitude towards cyclist, now he has yet another reason to hate cyclists.

Yep! that'll do, exactly what other cyclists need!. Cheers!

Why isn't anyone mentioning the opposite of this argument...

Maybe next time he will consider that a cyclist might have him square in the face?

tbh, cyclist punching a motorist would have been better for this than taking/breaking the keys.

Lol that reminds of something I saw on one of those police shows.

There was a report that some burglars had broken into someone's garage and were loading stolen items into a van.

The police got there and managed to catch them in the act. However turned out they weren't burglars but were just loading audio equipment into the van for a gig.

After they went back to the police car the policeman then realised that in his haste to catch them in the act he had managed to snap the keyfob from the key which was still stuck in the barrel. Nice way to put an expensive police car out of service.

Anyway in your case I would have just cycled off as soon as you realised he was an ignorant and aggressive driver. Snapping the key could make you liable for criminal damage and there's always the chance you could come across him again if he's local. Plus doesn't do much to improve the image of cyclists, no matter how much a twat he is.

I tend to avoid confrontation although I might stick my fingers up if someone beeps or passes dangerously close. However before doing so I will check to make sure it is unlikely I will be filtering past him at junction shortly afterwoods. Being stationary on a bike is not the safest place to be next to an aggressive driver - I prefer to be rolling at least a little to be able to accelerate away quicker.

The ones who I will catch up and filter past are the ones who overtake pointlessly and subsequently cut me up coming up to traffic or lights. I will make a point of filtering past and then slotting in front of them just to prove how pointless their overtake was.

[QUOTE 1155560"]
How? You would be by the side of the car talking to the driver, unless you mean after the incident of course. But that is not going to happen becasue the key broke off in the lock. LOL!
[/quote]

I mean after the incident, you are correct in that. However DrSquirrel's punch in the face was presented as an alternative action to a snapped key; in that scenario the car would still be very much mobile

BSRU

A Human Being
The problem with a punch in the face is the driver will have marks on his face, the puncher will have marks on his hand and it may make it easier for plod to prove some connection. Also, if the punch goes wrong you could end up with a broken hand and the car driver still has his weapon of choice.

Unless the enraged driver then floored it and rammed the cyclist.....

I mean after the incident, you are correct in that. However DrSquirrel's punch in the face was presented as an alternative action to a snapped key; in that scenario the car would still be very much mobile

Okay.

Break/take the keys THEN clobber them one ;)

Although I didn't mean immediately after the incident, in the future, with other cyclists etc.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Remember this?

https://www.cyclechat.net/

This guy killed someone he *thought* was the cyclist who broke his wing mirror.

Sometimes it's hard to keep your cool, I agree. But you don't hold many good cards against the tin box if you escalate things.

Remember this?

http://www.cyclechat...d-rage-incident

This guy killed someone he *thought* was the cyclist who broke his wing mirror.

Sometimes it's hard to keep your cool, I agree. But you don't hold many good cards against the tin box if you escalate things.

Mmm...

I guess the best thing is to make sure he cannot drive again... maybe blinding him with acid or something?

(yes, its just as not serious as me suggesting punching someone :tongue:)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Can I point out that it wasn't the intention of the OP to snap the key off, just to hurl them into the nearest bush.

I can quite understand how this escalated - the driver had explicitly said that he had deliberately used his car as a weapon to intimidate the cyclist. It's easy to read this account and say that he shouldn't have tried to take the keys, but it could easily be argued that the OP was defending himself and other road users.

So, I don't really approve of your actions, but I do understand them.

StuartG

slower but further
We are losing the plot here. The problem with the motorist was not ignorance or misjudgement - it was road rage. Doing something in retaliation which cannot be justified even if the grievance was justified.

Dealing with road rage is inherently dangerous in itself. The most likely solutions are from repentance from the offender when threatened with judicial punishment - or failing that - get him off the road. Both ways require police action.

The good news is that road ragers are likely to have 'previous'. A cool report has a chance of the police checking and believing you and having 'words'. In this case nothing more because of lack of independent evidence. Is any other choice likely to have a better outcome (apart from the riders own enjoyment in revenge - road rage in itself!)?.

I think not. I have been around long enough to believe it will merely up the anti. That may cost someone else much more when this idiot next loses it.

But those who think a broken key will being true redemption please go ahead and give us some evidence ...

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'd have just reported him to the police - it's a lot easier and less stressful. If you're lucky, he might get a knock on the door whilst watching Eastenders.

BSRU

A Human Being
I'd have just reported him to the police - it's a lot easier and less stressful. If you're lucky, he might get a knock on the door whilst watching Eastenders.

Waste of time, the Police are not interested, unless a collision occurs, especially when it is basically one persons word against another.

We are losing the plot here. The problem with the motorist was not ignorance or misjudgement - it was road rage. Doing something in retaliation which cannot be justified even if the grievance was justified.

Dealing with road rage is inherently dangerous in itself. The most likely solutions are from repentance from the offender when threatened with judicial punishment - or failing that - get him off the road. Both ways require police action.

The good news is that road ragers are likely to have 'previous'. A cool report has a chance of the police checking and believing you and having 'words'. In this case nothing more because of lack of independent evidence. Is any other choice likely to have a better outcome (apart from the riders own enjoyment in revenge - road rage in itself!)?.

I think not. I have been around long enough to believe it will merely up the anti. That may cost someone else much more when this idiot next loses it.

But those who think a broken key will being true redemption please go ahead and give us some evidence ...

Then again there are people that constantly drive without the usual requirements, bans, billions of points, unpaid fines etc. And having a "few words", even from a judge with points etc doesn't mean it will work.

Not that everyone has "previous" like you mentioned, so maybe it would only work witht he softest of people - then again are these people likely to cause such reckless driving (purposely rather than out of just lack of judgement).

It's like they say about bullies in a lot of cases - only way to teach them a lesson is to punch back. ;)

Top Bottom