Riders revenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
The question that has not been asked yet is, was there a cyclepath or lane ajacent to the incident?

Because that question is not relevant, car drivers have no right to insist cyclist's use them, no matter how good or clean or close.

StuartG

slower but further
Assuming the motorist thought (wrongly or rightly) you were in the wrong does not excuse his behaviour. Similarly thinking him in the wrong does not excuse yours.

You admit you attempted theft. He has a right to take reasonable defensive action and the result appears to be criminal damage. What you have written here (and some police are able to read you know) should be enough if they can be bothered to pursue you.

Of course if the station sergeant has experienced bad cyclist behaviour he might just be tempted to do so. I wouldn't blame him. Actions like yours just provokes even more resentment by other motorists which increases the danger to us all.

Thanks.

Motorist shouldn't have done it,it's paramount to bullying.

Apart from driving without due care...

Scumbags shouldn't use their car as weapons we all know that.

MartinC

Über Member
Assuming the motorist thought (wrongly or rightly) you were in the wrong does not excuse his behaviour. Similarly thinking him in the wrong does not excuse yours.

You admit you attempted theft. He has a right to take reasonable defensive action and the result appears to be criminal damage. What you have written here (and some police are able to read you know) should be enough if they can be bothered to pursue you.

Of course if the station sergeant has experienced bad cyclist behaviour he might just be tempted to do so. I wouldn't blame him. Actions like yours just provokes even more resentment by other motorists which increases the danger to us all.

Thanks.

Theft in law is permanently depriving someone of something. That's why there's a specific offence of Taking Without Consent for joyriding not larceny - because you can't establish any intention to permanently deprive. So there was no attempt to steal the keys - merely to to stop the driver using the car as a weapon. Similarly Criminal Damage would require some evidence beyond that the damage happened inadvertently during a struggle.

I agree that confrontations don't increase the quality of life for anyone. It's also seems ludicrous to suggest that illegal behaviour like deliberately using a vehicle to intimidate and threaten another road user should go unchallenged. There might be altenative suggestions as to the best way to achieve this but no-one has made any.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would the drivers initial reaction to the cyclist, close pass simply because the cyclist was using the road, not count as assault with intent/assault with a deadly weapon?

Reading the opening post the driver knew what he was doing & that his actions were deliberate.

I once took the wing mirror of a range rover being driven on the wrong side. Similar set of circumstances. He knew he what he was doing & why & he sufferred as a result of his actions. The only thing that stopped him coming back at me was the the fact that I was by this time pulling a 35mm out of the rucksack.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Loved to have seen the little toss pots face when the key snapped ! I know they are very expensive working in the motor trade ! What would he have done if he had caused our fellow commuter to be splattered in the road and possibly in the path another car ? I know it has proberly not helped our cause but knobheads like this need to be shown we are not push overs and that close passes on purpose are not acceptable.To be honest the key removal and launching has been one of my thoughts too on many occasions.
I agree with most posters though,new route for a while.

On another note my commutes this week have been brilliant and have not had any cause to remove parts of cars because everyone has been nice !

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
In cases like this, I think cars (and vehicles as a whole) should have an external cut-out switch, similar to those fitted on buses.

taxing

Someone shouted "I can see your fadge!" at me today as he passed in the opposite direction in his classy white van. If I could have shoved his key up his arse and snapped it off I would have.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I spoke on the 'phone with someone from Hull (Kingston Upon) today, she said '595', but it sounded like 'faarv, naarn, faarv'

Are you sure he didn't say, 'I can see your faarge', and you could have said, 'It's not a Faarge, it's a Pashley'

I spoke on the 'phone with someone from Hull (Kingston Upon) today, she said '595', but it sounded like 'faarv, naarn, faarv'

Are you sure he didn't say, 'I can see your faarge', and you could have said, 'It's not a Faarge, it's a Pashley'

Oi..leave our faarvs and our cerca-cerla and the like alone :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 1155524"]
I disagree, if this would have been a simple mistake that escalated into what the OP did, then yeah the OP was out of order. But driving like that on purpose deserves to be 'dealt' with one way or the other. Maybe now the self-gratification artist of a driver will think twice before pulling a stunt like that despite knowing **** all about the law and riding on the pavement.
[/quote]
You're welcome to disagree, but the self-gratification artist of a driver will not think twice at all, the ignorant never do. All it will do is fuel his (and his mates when he tells them) anti-cycling fervour, hence making the roads more dangerous than before.
No lessons are learnt and in a small town like Exeter the OP's gonna have to keep his head down a while. Great result.
What we really don't need are more 'anti-cyclists' on the streets.

Top Bottom