Riders revenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

I spoke on the 'phone with someone from Hull (Kingston Upon) today, she said '595', but it sounded like 'faarv, naarn, faarv'

Are you sure he didn't say, 'I can see your faarge', and you could have said, 'It's not a Faarge, it's a Pashley'

Did she ring you up thinking you were a takeaway? 'I want a chicken korma and faarv naans.'

Paul_L

Über Member
i don't think turning the streets into a battle zone between cars and drivers does anyone any favours.

surely whatever the provocation, conflict should be the last thing on our minds.

whatever happened to retaining the moral high ground?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
full marks tincan man, never bend in submision to wrongdoing threats or suchlike evil triumghs when good men do nothing, to do nothing is cowardice, a popular hobby today it seems

aleksei

Does the driver now know that cyclists can ride wherever in the road just because some cyclist broke his car key?

NO, he hasn't learned anything. He only got validation of his attitude towards cyclist, now he has yet another reason to hate cyclists.

Yep! that'll do, exactly what other cyclists need!. Cheers!

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Because that annoys the motons just as much as snapping their keys.........
rolleyes.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
i don't think turning the streets into a battle zone between cars and drivers does anyone any favours.

surely whatever the provocation, conflict should be the last thing on our minds.

You have a fair point as do the others highlighting the repercussion potential, but these are all after the fact and not heat of the moment. A really close pass is a scary thing and it's not often you get the chance to 'have a word'. To then be told that it was intentional due to a combination of ignorance and arrogance, would be enough to push many people over the edge.

I've mentioned on other threads that I'm genuinely concerned by the lack of knowledge drivers have of the rights of other road users. If they don't know then how on earth did they ever pass a driving test? I love cycling orgnaisations for what they try to do but surely a national tv ad campaign, just covering the basics, would be a great investment.

As for using a ton+ of steel to 'chastise' others, that's just criminal in every sense of the word. It wouldn't have been a key I'd have been trying to snap.

400bhp

Guru
He's got no proof, I'd be more worried that he'll run you over tomorrow. If not being on a cycle path deserves a close pass, I'd hate to think what a snapped key deserves.

Perhaps next week when his car works:biggrin:

Guy deserved it.

Coming home today downhill towards a large roundabout in Exeter, got buzzed by a small car, really really close. Caught up with him quite soon because of traffic, so thought I would have a word.
Went to his windows which he wound down:

"I shouldn't imagine you are a cyclist, do you know how close you came to me, it was really scary"

"You should have been on the cycle path"

"Are you saying you did that deliberately?"

"Yes, you should have been on the cycle path"

Anyway it quickly got a little heated as he wasn't going to apologise and didn't want to know why I wasn't on the cycle path.

Then I remembered a previous forum entry about grabbing the keys and throwing them across the road.

I reached in, turned off the engine and just about to pull the keys about when he grabbed my hand, which got wrenched downwards, snapping the key off in the lock.

"That'll slow you down" say I and left.............................

Looked behind after 200yds, nice set of hazards mate.

I like to give folk the benefit of the doubt but his answer would of irked me too. Although funny and utterly deserved though I don't think the action you took will have done any good however, and perhaps harm to the next cyclist the muppet encounters.

I like to give folk the benefit of the doubt but his answer would of irked me too. Although funny and utterly deserved though I don't think the action you took will have done any good however, and perhaps harm to the next cyclist the muppet encounters.

To be honest, it's a bit of a no-win.

Back down after the instruction as to where a cyclist should be riding (in the motorist's own world and misunderstanding) and you possibly reinforce that misconception and encourage similar beghaviour with an "I sure showed that nuisance cyclist, I'll do the same to the next one"

Now there is (and people WILL convince themselves that they are right, regardless, especially men when it comes to driving (and I speak as a male driver) to criticise a man's roadcraft is akin to pointing and laughing when he stands at a urinal...don't know why but it kind of is. So the driver now has had some idiot on a bike wobbling around holding everyone up and then smashed their car rather than give way to a taxpaying motorist. No lesson will have been learned as regards driving habits.

Detached from the incident behind a computer it's easy to analyse things rationally but on my way home today I slapped a car that hit me with the wing mirror then moments later left hooked me and spewed forth a torrent of abuse as it sped off.

A little tip though, if it's a saab don't try grabbing the keys, you'll be laid across the driver's lap in avery compromising position trying to reach the keys next to the handbrake! :laugh:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As there were no independent witnesses (unless I misread the OP?), neither party can prove anything. Now, if the OP had been using a helmet-cam, that might have made things more interesting...

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would avoid that route for a while. I also think that this forum temporarily raised my agitation with car drivers to a dangerous level, I have made a conscious effort to avoid confrontation and now relax when I feel the agitation come on with a dodgy driver.

Cannot explain the forum raising my awareness other than possibly mass hysteria effect :ohmy:

Jezston

Über Member
I don't think you should have reached in to grab his keys, resulting in them being snapped.

I think you should have reached in to grab his neck, resulting in that being snapped.

That would have been the only way you could have improved his attitude towards cyclists.

Whilst I can certainly understand your frustration at the driver, I can in no way condone reaching in for keys etc, which in this case resulted in criminal damage.

I'm quite happy to question people, confront them about their poor behaviour/driving, but taking action like that is going too far.

Top Bottom