Rides around Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

arranandy said:
Its a great route. I sometimes do it from home (I live in Motherwell) and its about an 80 mile loop. ;)

Mmm. Maybe one for next year, but certainly one to keep in mind!:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
arranandy said:
Get the train out to Lanark and the quietish roads of South Lanarkshire await you. The highest village in Scotland - Wanlockhead - is about 20 miles from Lanark so it would make a good loop if you went via Wiston and Abington and back via Crawfordjohn and Douglas

I did a cracking (well apart from the rather hard finish) sportive last summer from Wanlockhead. I meant to return to the area just to do some training rides but never got around to it. Your post has reminded me, when the weather improves - get down to the area. Stunning views and relatively quiet roads.

I can recommend the Southern Uplands Sportive

lazyfatgit

There's a few good suggestions for South Lanarkshire in Paul Lamarra's book, Bike Lanarkshire the Lowther Hills and Clyde Valley.

There's lots of quite roads, but there's also quite a few hills. I was in Sanqouhar this morning (by car) and only saw 3 other vehicles on the stretch to Crawfordjohn.

It's been quite a few years since i was up there on the bike, but I'll definately be having a day or two out this year.

alp1950

QuickDraw said:
From Anniesland as long as you head north or west you can't go too far wrong. I'd recommend heading out towards Milngavie with a map and seeing where you end up. But if you want specifics.....The one Gav suggests is a good one too. Head for Milngavie, pass West of Scotland and Esporta out to Strathblane, turn right to Lennoxtown, on way out of Lennoxtown turn right for Torrance then turn right at the roundabout in Torrance, stop at Solid Rock Cycles in Balmore, then straight on through the roundabout and eventually you end up coming down the steep hill at the side of Asda, Bearsden. An easy 25 miles or so.

But don't be afraid of the Crow Road. Heading north it's not too bad - I'm not saying it's easy right enough. Do the same as above but turn left in the centre of Lennoxtown over the Campsies and down into Fintry, straight through Fintry and turn left at the next junction and you're on the road for Killearn, then just keep going past the Dumgoyne distillery and you'll be back in Milngavie in no time. Another 40 miler admittedly a little more demanding.

Nice wee detour on the road from Strathblane to Milngavie is to take the Craigmaddie road (left turn about 1/4 mile before the reservoir). A real rollercoaster of a road with some short steep hills and sharp bends: great fun to scream down - but watch the blind corners! Comes out at Bardowie- turn right then down to roundabout, Asda etc.

MrRidley

The craigmaddie road is one hell of a climb but once at the top you'll be glad that you done it, i've put a route called the outskirt loop on bikely covering the strathblane, campsie's and lennoxtown area (starting from my house) on a sunny day it's a great run ,was out there and climbed the crow road myself twice last week.

woohoo

Veteran
I remember having to do that and the Crow Road on my Raleigh Blue Streak (bottom gear = 46/23 =54 ;) ) in my younger years. I think I would now struggle with my current bottom gear (34/26 = 35 ish) ;)

alp1950

bhoyjim said:
The craigmaddie road is one hell of a climb but once at the top you'll be glad that you done it, i've put a route called the outskirt loop on bikely covering the strathblane, campsie's and lennoxtown area (starting from my house) on a sunny day it's a great run ,was out there and climbed the crow road myself twice last week.

True- but more fun to do it the other way finishing at Bardowie.

johnyC

Magnatom,

There's been loads of mention of Strathblane, Lennoxtown, Torrance, etc in previous replies. Might I add, if you're riding from Strathblane to Lennoxtown, to turn left just after Haughhead into Campsie glen and visit 'Big Al's spoke emporium' (Wheelcraft) where you'll receive free cups of 'Thomson's full French', which will take you over the Crow with ease (and the UCI limit for caffeine) here's Big Al' with another famous ex road racer:
AlGowBarryHoban.jpg

Looking at your Crow Road ride I'd recommend modifying that for a change, instead of going up the Crow Road at Lennoxtown continue to Kilsyth and take the Tak ma Doon Road to Carron Bridge and take the road to Craigton, and you can go back to Glasgow via the Crow Road or your original route by Fintry, Ballikinrain Castle (great name btw), Killeam, Duntreath Castle and Strathblane.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
Looking at your Crow Road ride I'd recommend modifying that for a change, instead of going up the Crow Road at Lennoxtown continue to Kilsyth and take the Tak ma Doon Road to Carron Bridge and take the road to Craigton, and you can go back to Glasgow via the Crow Road or your original route by Fintry, Ballikinrain Castle (great name btw), Killeam, Duntreath Castle and Strathblane.

That's a good suggestion HLaB. Incorporating the two hills would certainly provide a workout. Something like this. Mmmm. I might do one more 40 miler first and make sure I can crack Crow Road northwards and then go for this.

Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom